Watching Blue Angels practicing...

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
They are at my airport (KLBE) this weekend. I went out yesterday afternoon to watch them arrive and I'm currently eating my lunch watching them from the 5th floor fire escape of my office building. My office is only about 3 miles as the crow flies from the airport.

Also got to see the Geico Skytypers arrive while I was at the airport yesterday. They use the SNJ-2 model (also called T-6's I think?).

We are supposed to have good wx all weekend, so that should help bring out the crowds.

Also, my former flight school (I still hang out there) has bought a bigger hangar and has it ready to open this weekend during the show.

I can't wait to get out there on Sunday. It should be an exciting weekend all around.

While I was stationed in Pensacola (where they're based) my wife and I would watch them practice from the beach a few times a week. We never grew tired of it. Always a great show, and their formation flying is incredible.

A number of years ago my wife and I took our 3 (at the time) kids on a camping trip across north Florida. We had set up and spent the night at the national park campground that includes Ft. Pickens. The kids got up about 7:30 and we were trying very hard to keep them quiet so as not to disturb the other campers when an F/A-18 went over at about 500 feet and probably 400 knots. Ooookaaay. I guess everybody's up. We walked over the dunes between us and the bay and watched the Blue Angels practice for about 30 minutes over the bay. Very cool!

John

While I was stationed in Pensacola (where they're based) my wife and I would watch them practice from the beach a few times a week. We never grew tired of it. Always a great show, and their formation flying is incredible.

Yeah when I was in API our house was right under the initial for Sherman out on Perdido. I would normally be washing my car on sunday afternoon/evening when they came back home from the week. Pretty cool to watch.

I watched them for a 40 min practice session at KNPA, their home base last Tuesday. They did low level maneuvers due to the cloud cover. Awesome.

The Naval Flight Museum here at Pensacola is huge!

I'm jealous Scott! I was at your airport last week for the safety seminar, but I've been watching and listening out my hospital office window the past few days hoping to catch a glimpse of those jets. No Joy. I'm out of town this weekend or I would try to meet you face-to-face during the airshow. Have a great weekend!

I'm jealous Scott! I was at your airport last week for the safety seminar, but I've been watching and listening out my hospital office window the past few days hoping to catch a glimpse of those jets. No Joy. I'm out of town this weekend or I would try to meet you face-to-face during the airshow. Have a great weekend!

Were you at the seminar on Saturday night? I was there.

Were you at the seminar on Saturday night? I was there.

Yep. I was the big ugly bald guy that someone referred to as "Stone Cold". Jason and I spoke just before the presentation about my upcoming checkride...

Turns out that Saturday was the day to go. Perfect wx, big crowds and by all accounts a pretty good show. I couldn't go until Sunday because of a family birthday party. We had intermittent rain and delays for most of the show before a pretty serious TS blew threw and cancelled the Blue Angels. I heard (though not verified) that there was actually a lightning strike on or near the field during the TS. Oh well, on to next year.

They will be in Milwaukee June 21-22. I get to watch and hear them fly over downtown the few days before the show.

The blue angels are a constant inner battle for me. I do love seeing the power and speed of the f18. But I am just so done with the same exact routine they have since the first time I saw them 25 years ago. Van hale s dreams blaring over the PA system. They were just here for the jones beach airs how, I had zero interest in going to see them, but yet looked forward to seeing them takeoff over my house.

Back