Waste Gate

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
So I'm looking under the hood of a Turbo Skylane. First time I've ever looked at any Turbo. The manifold from the left side and the right side meet in a "tee." The next thing is the waste gate. After that is another "Tee" to the Turbo charger and the exhaust stack. This ain't passing the logic check with me. Seems the waste gate should come after the "Tee" to the Turbo and the stack. What am I missing here?

A waste gate has to be ahead of the turbo or it wouldn't do much good.

Not missing a thing. If you need to wrap your head around how Turbos and wastegates and all that are supposed to look/operate, Go read John Deakin's Fire Breathing Turbo's in the AvWeb archives. 6 parts or so. http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182102-1.html

In short, the wastegate has to be upstream of the turbo on the hot side to dump excess exhaust and prevent overboost. You may have a pressure relief valve on the cold side as well but this is a backup, you dont want to generate excess boost in the first place.

So I'm looking under the hood of a Turbo Skylane. First time I've ever looked at any Turbo. The manifold from the left side and the right side meet in a "tee." The next thing is the waste gate. After that is another "Tee" to the Turbo charger and the exhaust stack. This ain't passing the logic check with me. Seems the waste gate should come after the "Tee" to the Turbo and the stack. What am I missing here?

Last edited:
Not missing a thing. If you need to wrap your head around how Turbos and wastegates and all that are supposed to look/operate, Go read John Deakin's Fire Breathing Turbo's in the AvWeb archives. 6 parts or so. http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182102-1.html

In short, the wastegate has to be upstream of the turbo on the hot side to dump excess exhaust and prevent overboost. You may have a pressure relief valve on the cold side as well but this is a backup, you dont want to generate excess boost in the first place.

Got it. I was thinking of "waste" gate as kind of a pressure relief. In other words, the less you let out the exhaust stack, the more has to find its way out through the Turbo.

Back