Wash and Wax's??

corjulo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Corjulo
What are people paying for a wash and wax at your airport. Trying to decide if we're going to do it ourself this year. Its a Cessna 172M

Also need a recommendation on a good wax

Last edited:
I use clear water first .. usually from a spray bottle. Towel it off
and then use Wash Wax All.

corjulo said:
What are people paying for a wash and wax at your airport. Trying to decide if we're going to do it ourself this year. Its a Cessna 172M

Also need a recommendation on a good wax

Depends on the condition of your paint job and how good of a job you want done, and how good of a person you want doing it.

If all it needs is a wash and wax with good paint on the plane, look at $250. If the paint is oxidized and needs compounding, it gets more complicated. You can get it done for probably $400 maybe less, but most likely that's not somebody who really knows what they're doing, and probably doesn't carry insurance. It's quite easy to ruin the paint job, and not impossible to damage sheet metal with a buffer if you don't know what you're doing. For a pro, I'd expect to pay around $750-$1000. He's going to go around the plane twice with a buffer, once with a 2000 grit compound to get rid of the oxidized layer, once with glaze to get out the swirl marks, and then wax by hand.

If you want to do it yourself, I like Meguires 29.

The paint job is exactly one year old. The paint shop said not to wax for at least 8 or 9 months. So this is the first waxing since the new paint job.

corjulo said:
The paint job is exactly one year old. The paint shop said not to wax for at least 8 or 9 months. So this is the first waxing since the new paint job.

No problems then, wash her down and wax her with Meguires #29. It's best if you can do it in a hangar/shade. It's easy on,easy off and has a good lasting coat. Do it every 3 months and your paint will stay excellent for a long time.

Henning said:
No problems then, wash her down and wax her with Meguires #29.

heehee, i used to love Meguiars. Bought enough of it to do my Typhoon for the next ten years.... then i discovered liquid glass http://www.liquidglass.com.

wow! i've converted. had the plane in storage, uncovered, the last year and all she needed was a rinse off. :yes: never that good with Meguiars :no:

sierra said:
heehee, i used to love Meguiars. Bought enough of it to do my Typhoon for the next ten years.... then i discovered liquid glass http://www.liquidglass.com.

wow! i've converted. had the plane in storage, uncovered, the last year and all she needed was a rinse off. :yes: never that good with Meguiars :no:

What is a Typhoon?

I try not to wash my plane anymore. Washed it once then used Meguires Cleaner/Wax (13 year old paint). After each flight I take a little spry bottle filled with water and spray down all the leading edge surfaces including the windshields. Then I take a soft terry cloth towel and wipe all the bugs right off. Every couple of weeks I use Megiuires Quick detailer. In between I just dust off the plane with a California duster. Easy. We're not talking Hawker Typhoon are we?
Ron

Shipoke said:
Nah she's talking about a GMC Typhoon pick-up, HI SUE Dave G

hey Dave (-:

yes the low flying anti-radar machine (but it's the blazer version v the Syclone).

If all it needs is a wash and wax with good paint on the plane, look at $250. Will trade for flight time
[/QUOTE]

This might be a good part time job for me.

My plane is hangared and has excellent paint. Water rarely touches it. I use Wash Wax All for everything. Blue, regular strength for most and Red, heavey duty for the belly.

Back