Was Given a New Souvenir Today

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
When Scottsdale MOM was here we happened to drive past a lawn sale. Yup; she turned around and went back to it. Women! She was walking through and around bunches of junk, for which I had zero interest, when she pointed to the ground and said, "Look; it's a windsock". Surely, it was -- bright orange, complete with the steel ground post. I'm going to lightly sand the post, repaint it, and position it on my front lawn. "Oh, you can't do that,she said; the neighbors will complain."

"Ma; probably half of this development are families attached to NAS Brunswick." Well, I haven't found time to prep it, yet, but a new neighbor across the street is the new Administrative Officer for VP-44, having been transferred here from D.C. I told him about it and he smiled. I quipped that I might have my Cessna tail numbers put on the sock, and he came back with, "When you're ready, come see me. I'll have my office sew the numbers on." Cool beans.

Saturday, I took the plane's LOG books to Twitchell's Airport for its Annual which should be done next week. After a fellow and I helped push a renter's 152-II(converted to a taildragger) back into its T-hangar the fellow said, "Take a look in the back of my truck," in which I saw a very bent steel propeller. And I mean bent, [but only on one end :eek:)]. He said that it had been given to him; and that there's a story behind it. I probably had a blank stare. "Maybe you'd like to have it, seeing as it's the one you used to shorten those trees out by the highway."

It was too long to fit into the trunk of my Park Avenue; it wouldn't fit any way in the back seat; so we lowered the center rear console/armrest which revealed an opening right back into the trunk. Bingo. Let's see: if I bury the undamaged end about a foot into the ground, the very twisted other end should pass for a piece of modern sculpture. And with the windsock............

:rolleyes: Whaddayabet, Scottsdale MOM will be pleased when she comes East for Thanksgiving?

Last edited:
That's awesome. I'd consider it art. Heck - if the city of albuquerque will call something that looks like a roll of toilet paper art - then I'm sure a propeller and a windsock would be too :)

Congratulations on receiving the damaged propeller. Must feel good to have it back.

I always wanted to plant the A4 Skyhawk from the front of NAS So Weymouth on my lawn. That is, until I saw the F-111 sitting in front of the AFB in Plattsburg.

A prop and a windsock would work too.

Harley, can you make a mail box support out of the prop? I've seen a few of those.
Ron

You know those chicken wire framed art sculptures they use for plants? where the plant grows inside and they just clip up to the wire frame, which makes a bush shaped like Mickey mouse or whatever, Well I saw one of an airplane this morning! Looked really cool! especially because it was a low wing. :) Wonder where I can ge one of those, and if cactus will fill it out correctly.

Michael said:
You know those chicken wire framed art sculptures they use for plants? where the plant grows inside and they just clip up to the wire frame, which makes a bush shaped like Mickey mouse or whatever, Well I saw one of an airplane this morning! Looked really cool! especially because it was a low wing. :) Wonder where I can ge one of those, and if cactus will fill it out correctly.

Lazy man's topiary :)

JC- hang that prop on the front of your house! Or turn your dining room into a bar and display it there.

Carol said:
Lazy man's topiary :)

JC- hang that prop on the front of your house! Or turn your dining room into a bar and display it there.

Carol: I've thought in the past I'd like to have one of those wooden propellers which has a clock at the hub. I'd hang it over the archway leading from my living room, across the short corridor, to the Marine Room. (( I realize only you know what the h*** I'm talking about.))
Maybe the bent prop might fit there, if the bent end(sounds like a good name for a rock-n-roll band) didn't get bent(and I wasn't when it happened) in the wrong configuration. Right now it's sitting on the front lawn, atop an electric water heater I've been trying to sell or give away. Except for the population of Navy pilots in the area I'm probably looking like the Red Neck Pilot of the North.

HR

P.S. Go back to your Twitchell's era and see which instructor endorsed your LOG. I'm parked at Twitchell's for Annual, may continue to my Ride via there. It seems that my present base -- my CFI now flying a commercial route and not teaching -- brings cause for an instructor change.
And I'm told by "other" sources that because of three accidents in the past year or so the FBO is hard-nose on everything. Hence, perhaps some of those restrictions I had defined when I first got back into the air. "T" is the same on tie-down $$, less cost per lesson, and about the same road travel distance from home to FBO.
(Sorry about the thread creep)

Back