Wanted: MAC 1700 radio

There was just an unfavorable [post=463935]post[/post] about them.

Thank you, I hadn't read that yet.

Unfortunately, Bennett and eBay are the only two options I've found so far, and the one on eBay looks kind of ratty (very dirty, or is it worn? :dunno:).

...you could probably find a good Narco for a reasonable price...

...you could probably find a good Narco for a reasonable price...

:rolleyes: :rofl:

Actually, the nice thing with the MAC 1700 is that it's the exact same radio guts, only the faceplate is changed - And that removes the weak link of the 170, which is the mechanical tuning system. The MAC 1700 has no moving parts. We have two of them already, one is the #2 in the 182, and one is the #1 in the Archer that needs a new radio. The MAC 1700's that we do have are the only radios that we have not had a single problem with since I've been in the club!

$1200 on Barnstormers, Kent. Not sure what your budget is?

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_336532_King+Avionics.html

Thanks Troy! I sent them a message.

Our "budget" is, we were quoted an utterly ridiculous price to replace the King, and we need to put something in so we can give the avionics shop their loaner back. I wonder what they'd think if I walked up to them and handed it back - Since this is a slide-in replacement, theoretically I could do it! :D

Need to replace a King KX170B... Would like to purchase an operable MAC 1700 conversion. Any leads appreciated. :yes:

Also, anyone have any experience with Bennett Avionics? http://www.bennettavionics.com/

What would you consider a fair price for a 170B? I've got a 170B and a 195 laying around the hangar that were never used (decided to go with digital kings when the budget improved).

The MAC1700 and MX170 have their weak links, as well. Every hour I've flown has been with a KX170B, MAC 1700, or MX 170. I've found the KX170Bs to be the most reliable, hands down. The digital face rebuilds tend to have issues. I've never had a problem with the mechanical one. Of course, that didn't stop me from putting an MX170 in my plane to replace a KX170B, but if you think you're replacing a weak link, I'd have to reevaluate that.

If you're interested, I've got a KX170B that's now orphaned from my recent avionics upgrade. Send me a PM if you want. :)

The MAC1700 and MX170 have their weak links, as well. Every hour I've flown has been with a KX170B, MAC 1700, or MX 170. I've found the KX170Bs to be the most reliable, hands down. The digital face rebuilds tend to have issues. I've never had a problem with the mechanical one.

Interesting - We've had a couple of different issues with the KX170B's, and never a single problem with the MAC 1700's. What kind of issues have you had with the MAC conversion?

The MAC in the Mooney would have issues where the volume would just cut out. Turning the thing off and back on would generally fix the problem, but it wasn't very comforting to know that if you were using it it might just stop feeding you transmissions.

The MAC in the Mooney would have issues where the volume would just cut out. Turning the thing off and back on would generally fix the problem, but it wasn't very comforting to know that if you were using it it might just stop feeding you transmissions.

If you have issues with it then get it fixed. Try JA Air in Chivago, they took over all of the MAC stuff when MAC went out of business. I've had a MAC for 12 years and had only one problem, JA Air fixed in one try, it's been A O.K. for the last 9 years.

Side note I wish I could get another MAC 1700 to convert the other 170.

If you have issues with it then get it fixed. Try JA Air in Chivago, they took over all of the MAC stuff when MAC went out of business. I've had a MAC for 12 years and had only one problem, JA Air fixed in one try, it's been A O.K. for the last 9 years.

Side note I wish I could get another MAC 1700 to convert the other 170.
FYI JA Air is NEAR Chicago, I knew what you meant though. They did move from KDPA to KARR recently.

A recent issue of Trade-a-Plane had an ad for MAC conversions by the chap who always advertises that he'll fix your old Narco stuff. I think his name is Dawson

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

A recent issue of Trade-a-Plane had an ad for MAC conversions by the chap who always advertises that he'll fix your old Narco stuff. I think his name is Dawson

Sho'nuff:

MAC 1700 MCCOY Conversion, replacement push-button faces, Roy Dawson Radio Communications, FL/(386) 760-7600.

Thanks!

What is it with always buying a Mac, Kent? :D

LOL - Only when it's the right tool for the job. ;)

Back