Walks Into Turning Propeller

This story saddens me. It seems like common sense. I wonder if the pilot said anything to the passengers about entering and exiting with a turning prop...

I always shut down if anyone is going to enter / exit the airplane. Its a habit my instructor taught me when I first started flying.

Also its a good idea to start up and taxi away from the ramp asap (if, like mine there are usually people walking around to/from planes) to a run up area or other unpopulated area of the airport. I see lots of pilots start up and then spend 5 minutes or more with the motor idling and their head completely down, working on the GPS or whatever. Somebody could walk right into that prop.

Really sad story and I hope anyone who reads it will remind themselves to shut down with pax entering/exiting the airplane.

I also have a hard stop policy when on boarding or off boarding PAX. No exceptions.

Last edited:
Another accident possibility is that of injuring someone next to flight controls when testing them on the ground. This is more common on large aircraft at MRO facilities. I have seen broken fingers and hands when some one had their hands in between ailerons and wings and an idiot decides to rotate the control wheel without warning or looking out. It can happens on small planes where the control surfaces/wings gap is big enough for fingers to get in, specially kids when washing the plane.

José

This is why I'll never let someone board or leave the aircraft with the prop still turning...

ugh - the only time I really, really about lost it was when I gave a buddy of mine a ride and he brought his 10yr old along. I did all the safety briefings I could think of before we went out to the 172. We had a good flight, my buddy and his son had a great time. We landed, shut down, and climbed out. The kid then took off running from the plane to the FBO - right across an active ramp. Fortunately, nothing was moving - but it scared the **** out of me.

Pilot's worse nightmare....!!!
Educate your passengers folks, just let them know there is a prop in there....
:rolleyes2:

Always approach an airplane from behind.
Always approach a helicopter from front.
These are what they taught in skydiving classes.

Really a sad deal and it happened two miles from my house. Like everything in flying, the propeller is unforgiving.

Well it is the same person as the OP, but I could have lived my life without seeing that article.

in the grand scheme of what's going on in this thread, why in this day and age would anyone willingly click on that specific link? simply not wise.

I think I incurred a fourth degree vaginal tear just by reading that article.

I just thought it was a feel-good story about how she moved on with her life, got married, and just had a baby.

i didn’t realize the headline would be summarized so graphically.

I’m not even remotely squeamish about anything that has to do with the human body. Nothing about the body is a big deal. Vagina. Penis. Rectum. Testes. Childbirth also isn’t a big deal. But WTF does that article have to do with anything here? I admit to being highly amused, though, at such a random necropost.

there's reviving dead threads, and then there is this

Indeed.

PoA has an automatic feature that alerts a would-be poster that a thread has been dead for ten years already. Presumably that was ignored.

I don’t think PoA has a similar feature that alerts for outrageously off-topic content, but if it does, that must have been ignored ad well.

well darn, now I kinda wanna click on the link. but I'm still not going to.

I clicked it after seeing the summary of it, and skimmed the article. It didn't mention much related to the shocking title of the link. It was mostly a feel-good piece about how she got married and had a baby after that, plus some advertising for the books her family write about their life.

there's a cute doggie and baby pic

56345699-10764189-While_Benny_clearly_loves_Ryver_the_baby_slept_through_their_ent-a-39_1651170837102.jpg

Skinny hips, IVF, first baby, home birth. . . .she followed some bad advice.

Those things don’t automatically make homebirths a bad idea. My daughter was an IVF homebirthed baby, an only child since we lost her twin. There’s more to it than hips alone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back