Wake Turbulence

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin

About 20 seconds in it shows full left aileron. I'm wondering if a foot full of left rudder and lowering the nose may have helped.

I was flying loose formation with my buddy who has an Arrow. He was faster so he pulled ahead and I got into his wake. I experienced the same roll to the right as shown in the test pilot camera of that video. Even small planes cause wake that will get your attention.

One of the "rights of passage" of a controller is to finally get to say, "unable, departure was a heavy" when someone tries to waive wake turbulence.

Got rolled to knife edge by a F-16, but at 5,000'. Still creeps you out. I cheat to the upwind side of the runway, and rotate prior to the point of the preceeding airplane, then cheat a bit more to not intercept his path. The vortices settle and spread. . .

Get into a glider some day. 200' behind that tow plane gets you all kinds of opportunity to feel wake. It's enough to get your attention.

Normal tow position, never feel the wake. Drop to low, sure will shake you, stay there and it will try to roll you.
Wake transition is part of the PTS (ACS not issued yet).

And the popular comment from the tow pilot: "Nice job of boxing the wake!" Followed by the glider student saying, "I wasn't box...oh."

Get into a glider some day. 200' behind that tow plane gets you all kinds of opportunity to feel wake. It's enough to get your attention.

Or landing on at a field that has troops fast roping down from a Chinook... WT in every direction.

Normal tow position, never feel the wake. Drop to low, sure will shake you, stay there and it will try to roll you.
Wake transition is part of the PTS (ACS not issued yet).

I aerotow on a hang glider, which is purely weight shift, no control surfaces. Very late in my training, the instructor (at altitude) had me go lower and lower behind the plane until we got into the wake turb/prop wash. Instant washing machine and he hit the release in an instant. He wanted me to know how far below the plane the crap was, and how bad it really is when you get in it. It would be almost impossible to control.

Or landing on at a field that has troops fast roping down from a Chinook... WT in every direction.

Been rocked by Chinook wake a few times. Nasty stuff...from an ugly aircraft. :D

Those damn Russian aircraft,at it again.

This is an old video that has circled the Ynterwebs many times and even made it here several times.
Nothing new. But still a good thing to watch for those who don't have a healthy respect for WT.
In the words of my neighbor: "That mofo will ***k you up, dog!"
So be careful out there. If in doubt, avoid the WT.

I agree that likely there was nothing he could do given he was low and slow. But, if you are caught in one (rolling right and the nose coming up) full left everything and slam the yoke into the panel. Maybe just maybe (shrug)
Better than doing nothing but screaming.

I've been in wake turbulence of military transports, fighters, airliners, and several heavy cargo types but the single scariest wake event I experienced was in same direction and altitude trail of a Cessna 206 on floats.

I aerotow on a hang glider, which is purely weight shift, no control surfaces. Very late in my training, the instructor (at altitude) had me go lower and lower behind the plane until we got into the wake turb/prop wash. Instant washing machine and he hit the release in an instant. He wanted me to know how far below the plane the crap was, and how bad it really is when you get in it. It would be almost impossible to control.
That's a weight shift hang glider. A lot different from a 1000# 2 seat full 3 axis control training glider.

I agree that likely there was nothing he could do given he was low and slow. But, if you are caught in one (rolling right and the nose coming up) full left everything and slam the yoke into the panel. Maybe just maybe (shrug)
Better than doing nothing but screaming.

I don't know about slamming it all the way to the panel. But trying to unload the wing and getting the air moving over the ailerons a little faster might make a difference. Not necessarily enough to recover it and fly away, but enough to maybe smack the ground less rolled over and maybe survive it. I'm not sure of the aerodynamics here. Wish some of the aerobatic crowd would chime in.

That's a weight shift hang glider. A lot different from a 1000# 2 seat full 3 axis control training glider.

Right, like I said, without control surfaces, pretty much a lost cause if you get down in the wash/turb.

Back