Wait on medical or proceed with training?

U

Unregistered

This isn't completely related to a medical problem, but it's close enough so hopefully this is a good place to ask the question.

I'm about 10 hours in on training right now and have a slightly messy case with a past history of a medication not on the approved list. I've been working with Dr. B and we've provided everything requested to the FAA and just waiting on their review. Dr. B feels good that we'll get the approval or special issuance, but since AME's are no longer allowed to call the FAA regarding the status of 3rd class medicals the timeline is a bit of an unknown.

If you were in this situation would you table your flight lessons until you have your medical in hand or would you proceed with a realization there is a small degree of denial risk? My concern is i'm still going to run some fiscal risk by halting training and becoming rusty and having to re-learn things.

Any input is appreciated. I think my judgement is cloudy on this because i'm really enjoying the training.

What is your objective?

If you want to fly, fly.

At some point you will have to quit because of death, health, or getting the denial. But, in the meantime, you get to fly.

What would be the advantage of waiting?

If Dr B is confident that you'll get your medical then I would continue training.

"Working with Dr. B...Dr. B feels good that we'll get the approval"

That would be enough for me to proceed. That man knows the system better than anyone not employed by CAMI, and many who are.

Had the same situation. Continued training until had no further non-solo tasks to complete. At that point was merely marking time and reduced the flying frequency.

To learn from my experiences - you may want to consider whether or not your flight instructor will be around when your medical comes through. Mine wasn't (took an airline job). Finding a new instructor to pick up where my non-standard training path had stopped was far more difficult than anticipated. Many simply wanted to start over.

I love the flying. So, I kept at it while going through 7 month process it took to get my Third Class.

Good luck and YMMV.

I agree with others to proceed with the other dual training activities.

What you don't want is a complete halt to activities where the skills you have learned and improved on start to erode. This requiring additional time (and money) to reacquire.

With Dr. Bruce being confident you'll get your cert, he will do what he can to move it along in a timely fashion.

I was in that situation as a student pilot (waiting for a special issuance, not a medication problem, to be clear). I managed to log 95 hours with my CFI before getting that magic card from the FAA that allowed me to solo.

So yes, you might end up with a thicker logbook sooner than expected, but as long as the outcome is certain, I can think of no better way to pass the time waiting. Enjoy and count the days!

If Bruce Chien was pessimistic, I'd say hold off and don't spend the money until you're sure, but if he says you'll probably be issued, keep flying. Laying off while the FAA Aeromedical wheels grind will only cause you to lose some of what you learned and require more training later.

And who knows maybe there will be no third class medical someday. If Dr. B said he was confident it would be issued I would think it would be for all the reasons mentioned above.

I decided to have Dr B do my FAA medical in March 2013. I had all sorts of issues that I worked to sort out prior to the medical based on his advice. I had no idea if I would get it. I made a decision to proceed with the ground school aspect as I was getting back into flying a flew one a week until I had the medical in hand.

Everyone is different, but I would keep flying and get certain phases of training out of the way while you are waiting. That's just me though.

And who knows maybe there will be no third class medical someday.

Sure, but if the OP started the medical certification process, it's unlikely the FAA would allow the process to be discontinued. See the existing Sport Pilot medical certification policy.

That said, I agree with others; soldier on. There's still plenty to be learned after solo flight, so once you do get the medical you'll be that much more prepared to go at it alone. No race to solo...

OP here.

Sounds like everyone is giving the same advice I was giving myself which was to continue on and let things sort themselves out. I did exactly that and already had another flight this morning.

At this point it's in the hands of the FAA and Dr B. As an aside, Dr B has been a real pleasure to work with through the medical process.

I had to wait for a si for sleep apnea. I knew they approve them but it would take awhile. So I started flying lsa.

Since you haven't been denied a medical you are perfectly legal to solo a lsa.
In my case my medical came through before my transition training was completed in the lsa. So I went back to the 172 and soloed that week.

Keep flying!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back