WAAS or not?

flyingmoose

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Flyingmoose
Ok so I ran across a situation today that I cannot find an answer for. I got to fly a <100hr C182T G1000 today and it was WAAS capable. (It was a nice ride). The other 182T G1000 that I get to fly is a bit older and is not WAAS. So I asked the question, "How would you know if its WAAS or not without someone telling you? I really couldn't find an answer that is what im looking for. Is there a way to look into the database to see? Is it somewhere in the Aux pages? Anyone have an answer to this. Im sure its simple but I cant figure it out.

Of course Ron's answer is correct for any aircraft. On the Cessna's the easiest way at a glance is if it has the GFC-700 it is WAAS vs. the KAP-140 without. In some circumstances they have been upgraded, but the price was so high that I doubt there were many takers.

What does the G1000 use for data cards? If it's like the 430/530, you can tell because it has two real data cards (terrain and GPS) instead of one real data card (GPS) and one blank card.

What does the G1000 use for data cards? If it's like the 430/530, you can tell because it has two real data cards (terrain and GPS) instead of one real data card (GPS) and one blank card.

Two SD slots in the PFD and MFD. Top is usually empty for updating, or for example my electronic checklist sits in the MFD top slot and is removed for updating. Bottom holds the terrain and obstacle on one card per PFD/MFD.

The issue with the price of updating is that both displays must be changed for WAAS. The WAAS glide slope indicator (I call the football) wasn't included on the non-WAAS versions.

Of course Ron's answer is correct for any aircraft. On the Cessna's the easiest way at a glance is if it has the GFC-700 it is WAAS vs. the KAP-140 without. In some circumstances they have been upgraded, but the price was so high that I doubt there were many takers.
Yea that was the difference in the two aircraft. But with that said it was just someone saying "This" aircraft is WAAS or not for me to know. So I got to thinking if you could just jump into a different tail number and know without being told.

Thanks Jay. I am going to the airport tomorrow, I will see if I can look for some of those things.
I'd go with Ron's thinking. From a legal perspective the official, aircraft serial numbered flight manual supplement rules regardless of what's actually installed.

I'd go with Ron's thinking. From a legal perspective the official, aircraft serial numbered flight manual supplement rules regardless of what's actually installed.
Sure there is nothing wrong with that way of thinking, I am just wanting to know if there was a different way to tell without having to dig through the manual of each and every tail number.

They're talking legalities of paperwork and I answered on fact finding.

Sure there is nothing wrong with that way of thinking, I am just wanting to know if there was a different way to tell without having to dig through the manual of each and every tail number.
If you know the avionics, you can tell very quickly once you look at the unit and turn it on.

I suppose you could always try loading a LPV approach.

If you know the avionics, you can tell very quickly once you look at the unit and turn it on.
Ok so that is what I'm asking. I know the avionics but do not know how to tell. Are you talking about th GFC700 Vs Kap140? IF that is the way to tell fine, but my understanding is that the KAP140 could be WAAS if it was upgraded.

I suppose you could always try loading a LPV approach.
There are not, to my knowledge, any "LPV" approaches. They are all RNAV(GPS), and don't select LPV rather than LNAV until it shifts from terminal to approach mode with all the necessary parameters for an LPV confirmed.

The GFC700 autopilot is used both with and without WAAS on some aircraft. Neither the PFD or the MFD need to be replaced when upgrading to WAAS. The MFD needs to be replaced if the VNV function is added, but it is independent of WAAS.

The simplest method is to turn to the satellite page. The D's are one cue. Any satellite above 32 is another. So is SBAS, DIFF, HFOM, VFOM.

its WAAS.jpg

The GFC700 autopilot is used both with and without WAAS on some aircraft. Neither the PFD or the MFD need to be replaced when upgrading to WAAS. The MFD needs to be replaced if the VNV function is added, but it is independent of WAAS.

The simplest method is to turn to the satellite page. The D's are one cue. Any satellite above 32 is another. So is SBAS, DIFF, HFOM, VFOM.

View attachment 28638
Great Thanks John. That is the kind of stuff I was curious about.

View attachment 28638

Just out of curiosity which aircraft have the GFC700 and don't have WAAS?

View attachment 28638

Why is this, since the hardware is identical?

Interesting. My reference for errant information was the DPE guide for G1000.

Back