G-Man

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AirmanG
I'm curious what people think of this:
http://www.gizmag.com/xti-aircraft-crowdfunding-vtol-trifan-600/39099/
http://www.xtiaircraft.com/home/

From the Gizmag article: "XTI Aircraft Company of Denver, Colorado is hoping to score a double first with its TriFan 600. Pitched as the first commercially certified high-speed, long-range Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) airplane that combines the vertical lift capability of a helicopter with the speed of an airplane, it's also the first major aviation project to launch an equity crowdfunding campaign in the wake of new rules approved by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission."

VTOL generally takes too much power vs. economy vs. speed with an immense amount of moving parts.

It's like the flying car conundrum. You're trying to merge a plane with a helicopter and what you end up with is not a very good plane, and not a very good helicopter.

But I hope it takes off. :wink2:

Most are calling it a pipe dream. They do have some high profile people on the board though that would seem to indicate they must have a decent idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with the fan or even tilt rotors is that they don't perform well in helicopter mode at high gross weights and high DA. For 75 % of helicopter missions they'd do fine.

If they an make the Osprey for the Marines they can certainly make a civilian version that does the same thing. The civilian version should be easier because it doesn't need armor or guns, either.

If they an make the Osprey for the Marines they can certainly make a civilian version that does the same thing. The civilian version should be easier because it doesn't need armor or guns, either.
The AW609 has been in development for a while.
BA609_02.jpg

I doubt very seriously that the cert process for a civilian tilt-rotor or VTOL bizjet will be any easier than that for the V-22.

Nauga,
and the acceptance of risk

You're f**ed.

Not if they're interconnected like the V-22. Now if that transmission fails between them...you're ****ed.

I'll say this, it's not a rookie crew leading this development. They've got some heavy hitters on board. If they can't get it done, no one will.

Probably same restrictions as helicopters.

Could land in the parking lot if the property owners and neighbors don't have a problem with it.

So the "volume" version is going to cost $10mm+, how far will $4mm go in developing it? I'd say about as far as the founders' bank accounts.

I went to work right out of college for Bell Helicopter shortly after the tilt rotor started development. It was heralded to be the solution to the "an aircraft in every garage" dream. That was 1984. Physics haven't changed.

Back