VP-400 emergency system gets pilots to a safe landing

inactive15

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Inactive15
This looks interesting but it seems like the system takes you for a nice ride when engaged in an emergency. I would have a hard time sitting back and giving up the controls.

http://www.gizmag.com/vp-400-emergency-landing-system/22308/

"The VP-400 system is constantly imagining the worst as you fly, re-building about 30 possible engine-out glide approaches per second, each one going from the nose of your airplane to a nearby runway, and memorizing the approach that is most likely to result in a successful landing, and showing you that approach as a series of hoops. And, if you hit the red button, the autopilot servos will engage and the plane will fly those hoops for you - down to an approach gate with a very high predicted success rate."

Not as primary at least, nothing says you can't have the equipment in your plane, just that you can't have it as primary info.

A system like this that's driving your autopilot and flaps, at the press of a user-installed button, would be legal?

It's a really neat idea, hopefully no one sues them for an approach that doesn't go well. I wonder how it includes wind into it's computations, and then how it scores all of the alternatives.

It's a really neat idea, hopefully no one sues them for an approach that doesn't go well. I wonder how it includes wind into it's computations, and then how it scores all of the alternatives.

http://verticalpower.com/vp-400/

The probability of a successful landing is predicted based on terrain, obstacles, winds aloft, surface winds (with optional ADS-B receiver), runway length and width, facilities at the airport, and a variety of other factors. Each airport icon is colored to show the likelihood of a successful power-off landing at that airport. A green airport icon means a successful power-off landing is likely, and a red airport icon means it is unlikely that you can glide-to-land there. Airport icons are shown in shades of color between red and green

Winds at altitude are derived internally and surface winds are received from the ADS-B system, if installed. These winds are used in the calculations to determine both the glide path and the landing runway. The glide path itself is designed with extra safety margin in it to account for winds being different than anticipated. The system has been tested extensively under many different types of wind conditions, including winds as much as 40 knots in the opposite direction of those anticipated.

Fly the hoops yourself

Didn't say that's not legal as this would only be for advisory. But installation of the full system, including AP and Flap control, would likely not be legal. Or if it is, I don't have a clear enough understanding of the regs.

A system like this that's driving your autopilot and flaps, at the press of a user-installed button, would be legal?

No, not the full rig, just the information part, that's pretty good right there, I can fly the plane without a problem, it's the calculating that it saves me from so I can pay attention to flying the plane. It's basically an SVT system with an advanced Flight Director program, quite advanced.

Too bad Land-O-Matic is taken.

Back