VOTE for Chicago's Biggest Blunder!

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Attention Meigs supporters:

For the past week, the Chicago Tribune has been running a series on "Chicago's 7 Blunders" (a follow up to an earlier series Chicago's 7 Wonders, get it?)

None of the options they picked were the midnight demolition of the "World's Coolest Little Airport" (Meigs Field), but today they are asking their web readers to vote, and write-ins are allowed.

Do your part...

Visit http://www.chicagotribune.com/blunders and enter your own vote. Remember...it's Chicago!

Vote early...vote often!

Done. Didn't see the option of re electing Daley again and again. Biggest blunder of all IMHO.

mikea said:
Do your part...

done, how cool it must have been to be able to fly right into downtown for the day or weekend. Oh well, chicago will never see my travel dollars...

Thanks. Don't expect your comments to show up. Mine didn't. They only have 52 comments posted. I guess the comment review guy is backed up. :rolleyes:

I voted, and see three comments up there already on Meigs: Frank, Dave, and DEG.

Looks like the only write-in comments posted are from March 17th?

Chicago's biggest blunder? Allowing stupid people to vote. Guess that wouldn't be a choice though.

DeeG said:
Chicago's biggest blunder? Allowing stupid people to vote. Guess that wouldn't be a choice though.

It's not stupid to vote as if your job depended on it - when it does.

You watch. Today in the primary dey're gonna renominate a county board president who is literally in a coma. He had a stroke last week.

gprellwitz said:
I voted, and see three comments up there already on Meigs: Frank, Dave, and DEG.

Added mine to the list - don't see it online yet tho.

I added mayoral-sponsored terrorist attack comments this morning. It appears that only comments from March 17 are posted.

The results are in and Meigs came in as the top "Other" blunder.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0604030119apr03,1,4117140.story

There are a couple of good comments that got printed.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-0604030113apr03,1,20408.story?coll=chi-news-hed

BTW, Chicago is reeling because the Dan Ryan expressway is being resyrfaced for teh next 2 years. It will be a parking lot. ANY passenger landing at Midway is going to have an adventure trying to get into the city. I hope Gov. Blago gets bitten repeatedly.

Please register or log in
The story you requested is available only to registered members.

Note: Member name is no longer used to log in to this site.
Please log in with your e-mail address and password.

Registration is FREE and offers great benefits:
Full access to today's news and information on chicagotribune.com
Full access to extensive coverage and commentary on ChicagoSports.com
E-mail newsletters including Metromix Events and Tribune's Food and Drink e-mail

Register now

N2212R said:
Please register or log in
The story you requested is available only to registered members.

Note: Member name is no longer used to log in to this site.
Please log in with your e-mail address and password.

Registration is FREE and offers great benefits:
Full access to today's news and information on chicagotribune.com
Full access to extensive coverage and commentary on ChicagoSports.com
E-mail newsletters including Metromix Events and Tribune's Food and Drink e-mail

Register now
Use this one:
Username lurjis@gmail.com
Password windyxo0
Courtesy of http://www.bugmenot.com

Trib poll results said:
25.2 percent Brock for Broglio
20.8 Chicago Fire
15.2 Great Flood
10.5 Dewey Defeats Truman
9.9 The Bilandic Snow
7.6 Other*
7.3 State Street Mall
3.7 Chicago Architecture

*Closing of Meigs Field, Block 37, high-rise public housing, among others.

Comments said:
Meigs Field

One of the biggest blunders in city history was Mayor Daley's abrupt, late-night closure of Meigs Field. Ordering the cutting up of the runway in the darkness of night -- with planes still parked and therefore becoming stranded -- was an extraordinarily arrogant and unnecessary abuse of power.

Where is the continuing outrage? When will the mayor be held accountable for this gangsterlike action?

-- Rex Shannon, Chicago

I am a pilot. I own a business and two airplanes. When Meigs was alive, it was easy to pick up and drop off my Chicago employees to and from the east. Now, even these many years later, when I say that I am from Chicago, I get the "Oh, how could the mayor have done that" comment about Meigs.

And for what purpose? The universal opinion among the flying community is that the skies around our town are less safe with Meigs gone. Your list of blunders proves that stupid things can be done even in the greatest city in the world, but when wrought by mankind, they can be undone. Isn't it time?

-- Dennis E. Wisnosky, Chicago

Back