VOR Simulator Practice Scenarios

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
There are plenty of VOR simulators available, some of them free and they work well enough. I was working with one of them the other day and I realized that it would be helpful if I had some VOR Problems or scenarios that I could work through with the use of the sim, but I didn't find anything online.

Can anyone recommend a good resource for this?

Not so much a resource, but there are only a few things you can do:

1. Track a VOR, inbound or outbound.
2. Locate position from two radials.
3. Find an airport or other position at crossed radials.
4. Hold at an intersection defined by two radials, or at a VOR.
5. Turn from one radial to another, crossing a VOR.

The last two are IFR-only exercises.

Work all the VOR problems in the IFR test question database. Especially the "quadrant" problems.

Not so much a resource, but there are only a few things you can do:

1. Track a VOR, inbound or outbound.
2. Locate position from two radials.
3. Find an airport or other position at crossed radials.
4. Hold at an intersection defined by two radials, or at a VOR.
5. Turn from one radial to another, crossing a VOR.

The last two are IFR-only exercises.

You obviously haven't seen the video, "2 girls and a VOR."

Using the simulator, randomly spin the knob, look at the CDI position and OBS setting, and figure out where you're at in relation to the VOR. That kind of goes along with what coloradobluesky said in post #3.

For a while I had trouble with VORs until I finally drilled it into my brain that where the nose of the airplane is pointing tells you nothing(unless your heading happens to match the OBS setting).

Work all the VOR problems in the IFR test question database. Especially the "quadrant" problems.
At about the time that I'm done with groundschool, I'll grab one of the guides (ASA or Gleim) to study for the written. Are the VOR questions online somewhere?

At about the time that I'm done with groundschool, I'll grab one of the guides (ASA or Gleim) to study for the written. Are the VOR questions online somewhere?

Exams4pilots.org has a large bank of questions and you can sort them by category. Not all of them may be current, but VOR questions are VOR questions.

The VOR questions on the written exam is something that SheppardAir did a phenomenal job with on their Memory Sheet. Since the answer often was "Where are you in relation to the VOR?", they had a simple way to visualize the answer by putting the VOR name in the middle, then positioning the question clue on the cardinal direction that was the answer.

We often debate about which is the best prep product for the IFR written. But for me, the Memory sheet was well worth the $40 for the SheppardAir system. I practiced recreating the entire sheet from memory, and then did that once I was told to start the exam. Less than 10 minutes, I had everything on the sheet downloaded to the blank scratch paper they gave me. Then I started in on the actual exam. I was surprised that many questions I had to answer were on the sheet, very few were not.

Back