VOR checks for Garmin before IFR flight?

FlyGirlKHWO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyGirl
OK, I understand the VOR checks I need in the preceding 30 days for my nav2 radio, but are the same checks required/apply for my Garmin 650, if I'm using that as a VOR nav instrument, as well?

Maybe an obvious question, but not sure....

Yes. If your route or navigation plan requires use of the VOR function of your Garmin, then you need to do the check.

Keep in mind that the VLOC button on your 650 activates a real VOR and localizer, not a GPS simulation of a VOR and a localizer.

You must check any VOR you are going to use per 91.171. Oddly, you can check them against each other (hoping that they both aren't out of spec in the same way).

You must check any VOR you are going to use per 91.171. Oddly, you can check them against each other (hoping that they both aren't out of spec in the same way).

And that's how just about everyone does it, at least if in the absence of a VOT or ground VOR check at the departure airport.

It's quite easy as long as you can receive some VOR on the ground. With all the mountains around here, you usually can get at least one, as most of them are on ridge tops.

If the VORs don't share a mechanical CDI, they are completely redundant. They even have separate antennas.

Yeah the checks still apply in order to use the VOR side of the 650. I do them on my 750 too. We're fortunate to have a VOT at Centennial Airport (KAPA) so the checks are easy and quick.

If the VORs don't share a mechanical CDI, they are completely redundant. They even have separate antennas.

Mine share an antenna, but the regs provide for that.

Back