Vogons, Atlas Shrugged and Mangiemela

DrMack

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DrMack
Vogons, Atlas Shrugged and Mangiamele

I'm an economist, not a lawyer, trying to gauge the economic effect of the Mangiamele opinion and was wondering how to go about finding cases of FAA enforcement of 61.113. Any pointers to where to begin my search would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
I only found three cases that mention 61.113 on the NTSB case search page:

http://www.ntsb.gov/legal/o_n_o/query.aspx

By the way, if you search for cases that mention that interpretation, it will help to spell the name right: it's "Mangiamele"

Of the three cases listed, the one that chills me the most is Administrator v. Murray in which the NTSB cites their own contrived compensation doctrine when they state, "compensation need not be direct nor in the form of money. Goodwill is a form of prohibited compensation. Administrator v. Blackburn, 4 NTSB 409 (1982)."

This form of compensation rises to Orwell's standard of thought crime. So a private pilot is breaking the law if he or she generates any goodwill among his or her passengers?

Sometimes I feel like we are living in a scene straight out of Harrison Bergeron and it also makes me want to scream, "Who is John Galt?"

They're just prepping for a pleasure tax. If you're happy, you're the next decade's 1%. ;)

Of the three cases listed, the one that chills me the most is Administrator v. Murray in which the NTSB cites their own contrived compensation doctrine when they state, "compensation need not be direct nor in the form of money. Goodwill is a form of prohibited compensation. Administrator v. Blackburn, 4 NTSB 409 (1982)."

This form of compensation rises to Orwell's standard of thought crime. So a private pilot is breaking the law if he or she generates any goodwill among his or her passengers?

Sometimes I feel like we are living in a scene straight out of Harrison Bergeron and it also makes me want to scream, "Who is John Galt?"

This is the kind of rule the pilots bill of rights will really help on.

Pretty sure a real court wouldn't agree with the administrator on something this silly....

Back