Visual Approach

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
When receiving radar services on an IFR flight plan, does a visual approach cancel the IFR plan when the pilot is advised to switch to tower or advisory freq?

Negative. You *should* be instructed something similar to this when landing at an uncontrolled airport: "Cleared visual approach, radar service terminates, advise this frequency on the ground or through flight service for IFR cancellation."

IFR cancellation is automatic upon landing at an airport with an operating control tower.

Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't certain. It's been a long time since addressing this.

Last edited:
A Visual Approach allows a Pilot on an IFR flight plan to procede under VMC Conditions to the Airport of intended landing and furthermore allows the pilot to manuver as necessary to maintain Visual reference to the Airport/Runway, you as a pilot may climb, descend, turn left and right while on a Visual Approach, and there may also be a restriction placed on the approach by ATC until a certain point.

Furthermore ya'll are right in that it does not automatically Cancel your IFR Flight Plan, at uncontrolled Airports, Pilots must advise Canceling IFR, and at Controlled Airports it automatically cancels when you have landed. Please remember to Cancel once your on the ground if you didn't Cancel in the air. I cannot express how many times in the past I have had to contact an Airport Authority/ Law Enforcement to go and do a Visual Inspection of a Uncontrolled Airport to ensure the pilot landed safely and was clear of the Runway.

Till next time, I keep'em seperated.:mad2:

Back