Vista HELP

markb5900

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark B
Decided today was the day to get my wifes computer "on the network" mainly for file sharing.

Well TWO hours later, Vista WON. I can not get it to "find" the other computers on my home network.

Have them ALL networked on XP with NO problems.

ANY help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Mark B

Last edited:
Aaaarghhh....

Okay. Now that that's over with, it's really not impossible. There are just more steps than there used to be. You have to deal with share permissions, network location types, and other settings which didn't exist on XP. It can be a real pain the first time you do it, but it does work once you wade through all the settings.

Rather than trying to explain it all here, let me just give you these two links:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e20e6875-7210-47bb-bf19-5c60e6ae86151033.mspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

Believe it or not, I really couldn't explain it much more simply than those two links, anyway -- and they have pictures, too. The first one is the simple version. The second one is more detailed.

Good luck,

Rich

Turn off your virus programs.

When I tried to network in a printer (using XP) I could not see the printer from the remote PC. Turned off the virus program, saw and connected to the printer, turned the virus program back on, and all worked as intended.

I have no idea why.

-Skip

Nah. The default identity of the network for Vista is "workgroup". Go in to control panel and get it named the SAME as the network that your other computers name. Then you'll find it.

The antivirus program probably had a software firewall.

When I tried to network in a printer (using XP) I could not see the printer from the remote PC. Turned off the virus program, saw and connected to the printer, turned the virus program back on, and all worked as intended.

I have no idea why.

-Skip

Nah. The default identity of the network for Vista is "workgroup". Go in to control panel and get it named the SAME as the network that your other computers name. Then you'll find it.

Dr. Bruce, you're right about having to use the same workgroup name, but that's only one part of it. Vista networking isn't brain surgery, but it's more involved than setting up a P2P network in previous versions of Windows.

If you don't reconfigure the Network Location Type and share permissions, folders that you designate as "shared" will not be accessible over the network except to authenticated users who have accounts on the host computer.

One way to bypass a lot of the annoyance is to stash the stuff that you want to share in the "Public" directory, configure only that folder for network sharing, and then create subfolders for each user's stuff within that one folder. Network sharing of the Public directory is disabled by default, which is sort of counterintuitive, but at least by storing everything to be shared in that one folder, you only have to go through the configuration once.

But what I'm moving toward more and more these days is just using RAIDed NAS for home network storage. RAIDed enclosures are getting so cheap these days that they're well within the reach of most families; the RAID mirroring provides a measure of redundancy; and because most of them run on Samba on embedded Linux, the NAS itself is pretty much immune to malware. So even when the users trash their computers with viruses and spyware, the stored data usually remains safe.

Rich

Last edited:
Get her a MAC and she won't go back. I use both and the MAC's talk to everything so easy. NO Virus software required.

Or try Ubuntu. The more I use it and install it for clients, the more I am convinced that Ubuntu is the Linux that will succeed with ordinary users. It took me a while to get used to it because it's different than other distros I've used (the root account is disabled by default, for example), but Ubuntu has endeared itself to me with its combination of stability, ease of use, and polish.

But more importantly, out of all the clients I've installed it for, not one has asked me to put Windows back. They all love it.

Incidentally, Dell and Acer (and probably other mainstream OEMs) are now offering Ubuntu pre-installed, so there must be quite a bit of demand for it. I'm not surprised. It really is a beautiful OS.

Rich

I have no idea why.

-Skip

If your "virus program" has an Internet firewall, that's why.

Back