Visits to health professionals

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
Random question with the electronic age. Does a consult over an iPad count as a 'visit'? I just got something in the mail from my insurance company saying this is coming as a low-cost alternative to going to a doctor. And what about phone consults that result in prescriptions?

Visit:
noun
1. an act of going or coming to see a person or place socially, as a tourist, or for some other purpose.

Random question with the electronic age. Does a consult over an iPad count as a 'visit'? I just got something in the mail from my insurance company saying this is coming as a low-cost alternative to going to a doctor. And what about phone consults that result in prescriptions?

Visit:
noun
1. an act of going or coming to see a person or place socially, as a tourist, or for some other purpose.

What are you talking about? An AME exam over the phone? I am sure the FAA would not allow that...

What are you talking about? An AME exam over the phone? I am sure the FAA would not allow that...

Hah! wouldn't that be nice?

I'm asking about item 19. Visits to Health Professionals.

Example. If I go visit a health professional for a travel consult I report it on my medical. If I call the same health professional and do the consult over the phone, is it reportable? It isn't a visit, but it serves the same purpose.

Last edited:
I would say that a telemedicine visit by phone, text or other electronic means where the person seeks an evaluation by a medical professional constitutes a visit. I doubt that the FAA would cut you any slack if you tried to argue otherwise.

Tom Clancy (speaking in the voice of Catherine Ryan) said, "If it isn't written down, it didn't happen." The converse is that if it is written down, the FAA will likely say it happened. So, if this "consult" is in your medical records, I'd say "report it."

Further, the FAA really doesn't care about reports in excess of those required, especially if it doesn't involve a medical condition which is an aviation issue. And you're going to be reporting that prescription, anyway, so mentioning the consult where they prescribed it isn't going to change anything.

Except in this case I won't, as it was for Malarone (done already). So being the conservative type I probably will list that phone call as a doctor visit. Reason - 'travel consult'? 'call for anti-malaria prescription'? I'm probably overthinking it but I'd hate to cause myself problems down the road.

Tom Clancy (speaking in the voice of Catherine Ryan) said, "If it isn't written down, it didn't happen." The converse is that if it is written down, the FAA will likely say it happened. So, if this "consult" is in your medical records, I'd say "report it."

Further, the FAA really doesn't care about reports in excess of those required, especially if it doesn't involve a medical condition which is an aviation issue. And you're going to be reporting that prescription, anyway, so mentioning the consult where they prescribed it isn't going to change anything.

Telemedicine is very complicated - you could probably get a consultation over the iPad - you describing symptoms, but it is incredibly risky for the health professional from a liability standpoint (not to mention your well-being) to prescribe or give advice without actually examining or overseeing someone who is examining the patient...essentially you're not getting the whole picture and therefore can't make very good decisions...

For example, how are they going to listen to your heart, take your blood pressure, or run any type of tests through an iPad -- I imagine you could use your pulse ox dongle to show what it currently is, but a physical exam should be required...

Except in this case I won't, as it was for Malarone (done already). So being the conservative type I probably will list that phone call as a doctor visit. Reason - 'travel consult'? 'call for anti-malaria prescription'? I'm probably overthinking it but I'd hate to cause myself problems down the road.
I'm not sure what problem you could cause yourself by mentioning something that is going to be a non-event, but I'm sure that whatever trouble you might have over then knowing you called for a preventive anti-malaria prescription would pale to the trouble you'd have if the FAA found records of a consultation you concealed. About the only section for which the FAA uniformly applies its "death penalty" for violations is 14 CFR 61.59.

I just keep the receipts for my Doc visits. :)

3f935ff00cc4165243fd16f4c157a9f9.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back