Vision Question for Third Class Cert

Njonl

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Njonl
Hi there,
I am due to go for my thrid class medical exam this coming week for my student pilot certificate. I had laser corrective eye surgery about 9 months ago with great success for the most part. I did start to notice a change in the vision in my left eye, and had another laser enhancement in my left eye only for that reason. It has been about 4 weeks now since the enhancement, and the vision is healing nicely. However, I don't feel that the vision in my left eye is where it should be yet. My questios is.... will I have a problem completing the physical for my student pilot certificate? My right eye is 20/20, and I'm not sure what the vision is in my left eye. Distance seems to be better than close up. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much,

Nick

The FAA likes some time after laser surgery to make sure the vision is stable before sighning off -- not sure if four weeks is enough. I believe they also want a full eye evaluation by an eye professional (MD ophtalmologist or Doctor of Optometry) on Form 8500-7, and that form must be submitted with your medical application Form 8500-8. My gut feel is that they'll be bothered by the lack of stability with the first surgery on the left eye, but Bruce will be along shortly with the details.

As for the visual acuity requirement, you must be at least 20/40 in each eye separately both near and distant (with or without corrective lenses, but if you need them to pass, you must wear them).

Njonl, the opthalmic surgeon has to sign you off in a letter. "Vision stable, no complications, only as needed followup required".

Whether the left eye passes vision standards- now that's another question alltogether. Sounds like you may have to have a lens in front of the left eye. GET IT EVALUATED AND GET THE 20/XX known in that eye BEFORE YOU GO to any AME.

You can ask him to do it all on the 8500-7.....

Attachments

• 8500-7.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 168
Dr. Bruce's eye test requires you to stand out in the hallway about 90-100 feet away from the chart. It's very challenging. :D:rofl:

The real world eye test requires you to spot head-on traffic with no lateral movement closing at over 200 knots.

Doc's test ain't got nothin' on that! ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the info guys. I will return to the eye doctor, get evaluated again, and have him fill out the appropriate forms. I'm ready to solo, and it's a bummer this eye is holding me back!

So, Dr. Bruce.

If someone (not flying regularly) with an active 3rd class (with corrective lenses limitation), gets LASIK, the best course of action would be to have the Surgeon complete the 8500-7 at the one month follow up visit and then go back to your AME for a fresh 3rd class?

I realize there's probably an option to avoid the retake of the 3rd class by sending the paperwork to OKC, but just curious if just re-upping your 3rd class would work, too.

Jhausch, thanks for the PM.

Actually the thing that is needed is a statement that your vision is stable, and that you had no appreciable complications. This usually happens within six weeks of the surgery.

Then I would save that letter to present at time of next renewal (THIRD CLASS ONLY).

Jhausch, thanks for the PM.

Actually the thing that is needed is a statement that your vision is stable, and that you had no appreciable complications. This usually happens within six weeks of the surgery.

Then I would save that letter to present at time of next renewal (THIRD CLASS ONLY).

Thanks for the reply. That seems much simpler. And one would be OK to fly with that letter and their existing 3rd class?

Depends on how much the FAA can show the pilot knew. For example, a CFI knows about part 67. Read 67.313 :(. At lesser levels of certification, there is no documetary evidence that a pilot has to have working knowledge of part 67, and therefore he does not know.

I don't want to post the rest as that pilot could well be put on notice by a web conversation.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back