Vision exam question

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
I wear glasses. They correct my vision very nicely. The last time I did 2nd Class medical(and 3rd before that), my AME tested my vision with and without glasses. The "with" part was fine. The "without" part was a struggle, but I just squeaked by. I am worried that this time around I may not be able to "squeak by", which can potentially create a big issue if I attempt 2nd class. Yes, I know I can go basic, but that is not in line with my plans.

According to 67.203, the acuity needs to be to certain standard "with or without" correcting lenses. Basically I don't understand why AME was testing me without them other than for not having a restriction on the medical(I don't remember if I have this restriction).

So, here is the question. In the spirit of knowing everything about my test before I go there, am I correct to say that the "without glasses" doesn't need to be done if I can live with "corrective lenses required" restriction on my medical?

Last edited:
Before I got cataracts, I had no problem getting a second class medical even though I was extremely near-sighted without glasses. It's "or," not "and," in "with or without" correcting lenses.

There is no need to check your vision without corrective lenses and it's pointless if you know you need them.

There is no need to check your vision without corrective lenses and it's pointless if you know you need them.
I used to think that, but I have had medicals where my vision was better that the last. Eye fatigue plays a role.

So, here is the question. In the spirit of knowing everything about my test before I go there, am I correct to say that the "without glasses" doesn't need to be done if I can live with "corrective lenses required" restriction on my medical?
In modern times, the only reason the test uncorrected vision on a FAA medalical exam is to see if you can pass without so they don't have to put the limitation on your medical. There is no penalty for seeing poorly uncorrected as long as you are within standards with correction.

Now, long time ago (back in the 80s) there were minimum uncorrected vision standards that had to be met, at least for 1st and 2nd class medical. But those requirements were dropped.

I'm completely blind with out my contacts. When I went to the AME he wanted me to take out my contacts to test my uncorrected vision, but I didn't bring a lens case and solution with me. I told him to just put whatever number he would put if I couldn't even read the top line and it wasn't an issue.

I did not need "cheaters" until I was 52. Between 54 and now I needed glasses to read and see close up. Now I am dead in the water without them, near and far.

Glasses are a PITA. I have to carry my regular bi-focals, prescription sun glasses and computer glasses. I really want to look into Lasik eye correction.

Is anyone there..?? Hello..??

I did not need "cheaters" until I was 52. Between 54 and now I needed glasses to read and see close up. Now I am dead in the water without them, near and far.

Glasses are a PITA. I have to carry my regular bi-focals, prescription sun glasses and computer glasses.

I buy my glasses from Zenni Optical online. My last order was daily wear with transitions, plus sunglasses for my truck and sunglasses for the wife's car. Total was $200. I get in the vehicle, put on shades, and only change when getting out to go inside a building or home. That leaves nothing to carry around . . . . But I don't need readers or wear bifocals, which helps with the logistics a lot.

... which can potentially create a big issue if I attempt 2nd class.

Nope. You're correct. If you can't do it without glasses you'll just have a "corrective lenses" restriction. Thousands and thousands of pilots have them, and they're no big deal whatsoever.

Glasses are a PITA. I have to carry my regular bi-focals, prescription sun glasses and computer glasses. I really want to look into Lasik eye correction.

Is anyone there..?? Hello..??

About a year and a half ago I had PRK done (didn't do LASIK as I didn't want the flap for the rest of my life).
Painful week after, but I had 20/20 distance by then and barely 20/20 near. I still use "cheaters" for close up stuff (when I can't zoom in on the iPad).

So glad I did it. It's not for everyone, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back