Vintage tail wheel simulator

The girl in the first segment pretty much had it right. Small corrections at the first movement. But it looked like she was looking at her feet.

On the second segment there was too much foot movement, IMO. He (she?) was reacting a little too late, which required big rudder movements.

That device would be outstanding if it was contained in a representative cockpit to simulate the forward visibility (or lack thereof) of the typical taildragger.

The girl in the first segment pretty much had it right. Small corrections at the first movement.

Did you notice that she said "way easier this time"? Want to bet she made big movements the first time! :)

I need details... I’m gonna build one of those...

Genius!

A key to this device is that the occurrence of motion must be countered immediately, with proper degree of input. There is no crash if you are wrong, but as you find the right response, stability becomes established.

The other key, is that your inputs are both your internal senses, and the RELATIVE motion of the surroundings. These are seen out the right and left side windows as the tail settles, and this primative device has no aircraft specific visuals to distract from the relative motions that are taking place.

A product where more details and hardware would make it perform less well, as the additions would damp the rate of turn, making it easier to keep straight, when a faster rate of turn demands better technique.

The second user in the video demonstrated the available rate at max rudder inputs, and limit of motion if not corrected. I suspect the bungee strength used would have to be adjusted to the weight of the pilot using the device.

I *think* the butt feel would be closer to a taildragger if you had the pivot at the front and the occupant was tilted forward. Maybe a project for @ethanb

It needs to be modified to get a full "groundloop" out of it. More intense experience. Maybe add more bungees controlled by "brakes." Otherwise a really good idea.

Something I never got around to: a nonflying taildragger trainer that would be driven by one wheel between the mains. Short "wings." Balanced precariously enough that any wind would add more complexity. Could nose over if braked too aggressively, or drag a wing. Parking-lot fun.

Okay well, it's not quite that bad although I guess it does sort of instill the concept. But I don't think it's a valuable thing. Every airplane is different and you're going to pick up this concept and feel it in a few lessons. Just like people have been doing for 120 years or so now. Don't underestimate yourself. Say NO to fear!!!

Okay well, it's not quite that bad although I guess it does sort of instill the concept. But I don't think it's a valuable thing. Every airplane is different and you're going to pick up this concept and feel it in a few lessons. Just like people have been doing for 120 years or so now. Don't underestimate yourself. Say NO to fear!!!

Could be where this simulator would be very useful, have a few different sets of bungees, and the ability to change the pivot point or add weights to it to change the characteristics. Does’t have to model any specific taildragger. But more to teach you to quickly adapt to different feel and dynamics of different aircraft.
Oh, and it doesn’t cost $200/hr to practice in it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Back