Video - Simulated Engine Failure - Class C Communications

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Here's a video of my simulated engine failure/ emergency landings class in an Evektor Sportstar, flown out of John Wayne Airport (SNA), a Class C airport in Orange County, California. Includes departure and return communications from John Wayne, some lost comms training, and a fairly poor student landing by me (doh). I'm a slow burn student at Sunrise Aviation and my CFI is Mark Bishop.

http://youtu.be/XC0IHJeJVh4

Joe

Here's a video of my simulated engine failure/ emergency landings class in an Evektor Sportstar, flown out of John Wayne Airport (SNA), a Class C airport in Orange County, California. Includes departure and return communications from John Wayne, some lost comms training, and a fairly poor student landing by me (doh). I'm a slow burn student at Sunrise Aviation and my CFI is Mark Bishop.

http://youtu.be/XC0IHJeJVh4

Joe

Enjoyed every minute of the training video - I wished I had trained at a towered airport, even better, a Class C, to be more proficient at ATC procedures and such.

Good lesson on engine out. I particularly liked your instructor's demo of a 180* turn withing 500 vertical feet , demonstrating the steep angle of bank and maintining the necessary speed. It all happens pretty quick, doesn't it? I guess in an actual failure, this would bring up the "impossible turn" scenario and the minimum altitude required to complete a 180* (or more) without engine power.

One thing my instructor's had tought me was to also perform a quick shut-down procedure in the event a power-off landing is imminent and there is no chance to re-start. Basically, (1.) shut down fuel flow to reduce the chance of a fire and (2.) unlatch and open doors to hopefully allow for an easy exit post landing/crash.

For me the question remains: if i have "little" altitude when engine goes out, what do I do: restart procedure or shutdown procedure? (of course, flying the plane is first).

Thanks for posting the video!

Back