Video of SixPapaCharlie in his new Cirrus!

Ha! I would never fly that high or slow!!!

I am doing 4 hours on Sat (hopefully my last w/ the CISP)

Then for the first time since the dawn of aviation, I am putting 4 full grown people in a single engine plane Sunday morning and flying somewhere.

quickly

Another thing I would never do is post a video of me banking a plane at angles expressly prohibited in the POH on the internet.

Another thing I would never do is post a video of me banking a plane at angles expressly prohibited in the POH on the internet.

Thank god I created my own POH for my experimental....

Max bank angle... what is that...;);););)...:D

Nothing but rocks and shrubs out there. Shouldn't subject PAX to that kind of risk but who am I to stand between a man and his class Golf deathwish :dunno:

Maybe the next guy will be texting on his phone while doing the same.

The cirrus is fighter like....;)

Just make sure the pin is pulled and your higher than this dude when playing fighter pilot.:yes:

Yikes, that was cringeworthy to watch.

What's the Cirrus max bank angle limitation, and what's the limiting cause? I'm Cirrus-ignorant but admire them and grab the scraps that I can. :D

Cirrus pilot and owner here...

Prior to Cirrus accident-reducing training, Cirrus planes became known for loss of control fatalities...mostly low altitudes. That has pretty much been fixed by not doing stuff like this. Cirrus accident rates are now among lowest in GA even though it's a fast plane used for many "challenging" missions.

Cirrus planes have a way of "getting away" from pilots, all whilst feeling like they are fine.

That pilot as a right to make his decisions for himself. That said, what he did is way, way outside what I'd consider acceptable for myself and probably illegal due to exceeding publishd POH standards. It's also of concern that another person was along for the ride. Was he fully briefed on the risks and was he OK with it?

Last edited:
Wrong tool for the mission.

Up to 90° bank at times.

Really should rent a Citabria or the like to get this out of his system.

My fear is not so much that these two adults meet their demise, though that would still be a shame. It's that they may overstress the airframe, causing unseen damage that may bite an innocent owner down the road, via huge repair bills or even an airframe failure.

Did not specifically see any overstress here, but go honking back on the yoke in a 90° bank and it's fairly easy to exceed Normal Category g limits.

I would not "drop a dime" on this, but this screenshot could cost someone their license if the FAA did some sleuthing:

16181885853_5aa0c20d3f_z.jpg

16179484234_38e7d75997_z.jpg

Last edited:
Did not specifically see any overstress here, but go honking back on the yoke in a 90° bank and it's fairly easy to exceed Normal Category g limits.

There is NO WAY he didn't exceed the 3.8G limit as I didn't see any altitude drops in those turns. I once had the pleasure of doing similar turns in the Extra 300L Chip Gibbons used to own and we were pulling over 6G.

I yield to your expertise and stand corrected!

Not that experienced at all, but that day we were pulling ~80 degree banked turns, and they were consistently in the 6G plus on the G-meter.

A while back, this or a similar video was posted to COPA.

Online sleuthing determined who the pilot and plane were beyond any reasonable doubt. I think it was determined to be a rental plane in Nevada. I also recall it was brought to the attention of the FAA, though I do not recall the outcome of that.

Regardless, it's idiotic to post illegal activity of any kind online.

Not that experienced at all, but that day we were pulling ~80 degree banked turns, and they were consistently in the 6G plus on the G-meter.

I would nearly guarantee you that they were not pulling 6+ here. It's hard to tell on video how hard the maneuvering really is. I don't know about the Cirrus, but even most high powered aerobatic airplanes will not sustain 6G in a level turn. There is just too much drag induced. And 6G is not a casual number in most aerobatic airplanes, even for seasoned aerobatic pilots.

Anyone who thought this kind of video would be cool is not very experienced. Assuming their experience level, they were way too casual to have been pulling 6G. I've pulled 6G plenty of times for short duration pulls to vertical or pulling from vertical lines. You're smashed down pretty hard and you'll start going gray after a few seconds. For non aerobatic pilots in airplanes with upright seating, 4G is a large number. Most recreational acro pilots don't pull more than 4G.

My guess is that their airspeed was slow enough to let the turn come through quickly, and it's too hard on video, especially given the very uneven terrain to truly deduce that they were making honest level turns at 80 degrees of bank...which would require 6G. I'm fairly certain they were flying more of a parabolic profile through those steep turns - not maintaining altitude with that kind of G. My guess is that they pulled no more than 4G here.

Last edited:
I would nearly guarantee you that they were not pulling 6+ here. It's hard to tell on video how hard the maneuvering really is. I don't know about the Cirrus, but most aerobatic airplanes will not sustain 6G in a turn. There is just too much drag induced. And 6G is not a casual number in most aerobatic airplanes, even for seasoned aerobatic pilots.

Anyone who thought this kind of video would be cool is not very experienced. Assuming their experience level, they were way too casual to have been pulling 6G. I've pulled 6G plenty of times for short duration pulls to vertical or pulling from vertical lines. You're smashed down pretty hard and you'll start going gray after a few seconds. For non aerobatic pilots in airplanes with upright seating, 4G is a large number. Most recreational acro pilots don't pull more than about 4G.

My guess is that their airspeed was slow enough to let the turn come through quickly, and it's too hard on video, especially given the very uneven terrain to truly deduce that they were making honest level turns at 80 degrees of bank...which would require 6G. I'm fairly certain they were flying more of a parabolic profile through those steep turns - not maintaining altitude with that kind of G. My guess is that they pulled no more than 4G here.

I would be amazed if it even got to 3 G's... Done smoothly, those steep turns while loosing a small bit of altitude could be done at around 2.5 G's..

Not wearing a chute is what might get them in hot water.. Altho the plane is wearing a chute so that could make for a VERY interesting debate at the FSDO...:rolleyes:......:rolleyes2:

I am doing 4 hours on Sat (hopefully my last w/ the CISP)

Then for the first time since the dawn of aviation, I am putting 4 full grown people in a single engine plane Sunday morning and flying somewhere.

quickly

Cool.. Let your kids hold the camera while you do some loop-d-loops. ;)

These SR22's are incredible airplanes! You guys made a great choice!

Do those fancy TV screens in the cockpit have storage capability? Not necessarily video playback but can it record flight profile info? such as - max bank angle, max G load, max climb angle, descent angle, IAS, etc.

I believe some stats are tracked.
If you have seen the "anatomy of a Cirrus stall" video on youtube, They "put together the final moments from data recovered from the doodads on the plane."

Around 2:30 he mentions getting data from the Avidyne

Last edited:
If I were going to own a Cirrus for rental(fat chance), I'd advise every pilot that the entire flight profile would be captured and downloaded when the plane is returned, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I can see sending the renter a bill for about $140,000 for replacing the main spar.

There is NO WAY he didn't exceed the 3.8G limit as I didn't see any altitude drops in those turns. I once had the pleasure of doing similar turns in the Extra 300L Chip Gibbons used to own and we were pulling over 6G.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. :no:

I would be amazed if it even got to 3 G's... Done smoothly, those steep turns while loosing a small bit of altitude could be done at around 2.5 G's..

Yep, now that I watch it again, the steepest turn that looked level was about 60 degrees of bank - 2G. I saw about a 70 degree bank that looked like a descending turn - probably around 2.5G. The 90 degree banks were all wingover sort of things - pitched up, then the nose falling through the horizon at a 90 degree bank. Not a lot of G there. If I were a betting man, I'd say they didn't exceed 3G here. I wouldn't worry about the integrity of the airplane. Still a silly video to post.

"Yikes, that was cringeworthy to watch.":rofl: No better word for that exists !

Cheers

I think they must have the Avidine Nap-of-the-Earth (NOE) program installed, and can now pretend they are F-111 pilots doing a bombing run on the USSR.

I think Capt. Ron gave them the 'Vark checkout, so they're good to go.

I joined your FB group.
I will maintain my composure ;)

I'll bet that was the guy flying the dick pattern on radar.

Not wearing a chute is what might get them in hot water.. Altho the plane is wearing a chute so that could make for a VERY interesting debate at the FSDO...:rolleyes:......:rolleyes2:

I'd love to see how that would actually play out!

Didn't a couple of renters crash a Cirrus doing these kind of maneuvers a couple of years ago. I think they were brothers and filmed everything they did.

Didn't a couple of renters crash a Cirrus doing these kind of maneuvers a couple of years ago. I think they were brothers and filmed everything they did.

Not sure if it's the one you're talking about, but an aileron roll went fatally wrong for a Cirrus pilot in FL.

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/cirrus-sr22-crash-flight-data-reveals-low-aerobatics

Please take the time to watch the video reconstruction in that link if you have not seen it before.

A renter also killed himself and a teenager in a Citabria I rented out doing low level aerobatics, so I'm not a big fan, to say the least.

Last edited:
Well it just looks like 2 young fellas out having a little fun. :hairraise:

Give them 30 thirty years and they will see this as folly,,,,,if they live. :eek:

Back