Video of San Francisco Flying

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Thanks to my iPhone carrying passenger (my cousin). The guy in the back is my Dad. This was a very special thing since Matt is my cousin and along with that I had my father - first family members in the plane.

The duck is going to fly with me from now on, that was his first flight. He will be my good luck charm. I call him "Duckie." It was also to honor the Babes and Airplanes.

This is on a weeknight, a few weeks ago, after work. Probably around 7-8pm or something. Couldn't get too close to the Golden Gate Bridge, those clouds caused a little turbulence.

I guess a high wing is better for this, anyways. Did you go North of the bridge, then?

I guess a high wing is better for this, anyways. Did you go North of the bridge, then?

I have two different ways I do the Bay Tour when departing from O69. This flight I took option #2 and was done in 0.9 - a record time!

1. If weather permits, I fly down the coast. I depart Petaluma, head over the hilltops towards the Pacific, fly down to Point Reyes and the light house, and pick up flight following for the Bay Tour with NorCal after that. I cross over the Golden Gate Bridge, do some 360's in both directions over things like the bridge, downtown, Alcatraz, Angel Island. I head back up direct to Petaluma via the Richmond / San Rafael Bridge and usually they "drop me" around San Quentin and I go back to 1200 in the box.

2. If the coast is foggy, which it normally is, I take the inland route. I fly towards Angel Island from Petaluma, pass over Gnoss Field (Novato Airport), go out over San Pablo Bay, and call up NorCal for flight following after flying over the Richmond / San Rafael Bridge. I report that I'm at San Quentin. I then do the manuevers listed in number one, and go back up to Petaluma the exact same way I came down. I pick a number like 1800 or 2000 that will get me through (under) all the airspaces and I stay out of the Charlie - they tell you to do that anyhow. Just fly "North and West of the Bay Bridge". They use those exact words.

Congrats on the first "family flight"! Your Dad doesn't look too worried, LOL.

"Duckie" will be good to talk to on those long solo flights... but if he ever starts talking back, check your altitude. :D

BTW, I'll guess you actually know this, but the way you said it was kind of weird, so excuse a little nit-picking... cumulus clouds indicate turbulence; they don't cause it. Worth remembering it that way because you can still have turbulence without any clouds... and even if you're not inside or very close to a cumulus, there can still be some pretty good bumps when they are present.

Congrats on the first "family flight"! Your Dad doesn't look too worried, LOL.

"Duckie" will be good to talk to on those long solo flights... but if he ever starts talking back, check your altitude. :D

BTW, I'll guess you actually know this, but the way you said it was kind of weird, so excuse a little nit-picking... cumulus clouds indicate turbulence; they don't cause it. Worth remembering it that way because you can still have turbulence without any clouds... and even if you're not inside or very close to a cumulus, there can still be some pretty good bumps when they are present.

His expressions are weird. I don't think he worries about me. Heck, he flew planes with four engines, he could land that thing (though that was in his 20's). Oh and I don't plan to go on any long solo flights but thanks.

His expressions are weird. I don't think he worries about me. Heck, he flew planes with four engines, he could land that thing (though that was in his 20's). Oh and I don't plan to go on any long solo flights but thanks.

Don't rule out long solos. They are very relaxing and sometimes very practical. What if your BF was off fishing on the Klamath and lost his wallet. He desperately needs you to fly over and bring him some cash. Just sayin...

Don't rule out long solos. They are very relaxing and sometimes very practical. What if your BF was off fishing on the Klamath and lost his wallet. He desperately needs you to fly over and bring him some cash. Just sayin...

I would be with him, silly. I fish with him. But OK I won't rule out long solos. I just wouldn't plan one.

I love in-flight videos - cool stuff! And the place and landmarks you fly over are unique.

Is it all right if I ask you some questions related to the flight?

I'm don't know the SF area so i looked it up on a TAC and saw that the area around Golden Gate Bridge would not be in SF's Bravo as long as one stays below 3000 MSL- is that right? (I noticed you were around 2000 feet indicated).

But the GG bridge is still within the 30nm C-veil, so is that why you had a transponder code other than 1200? So does that mean you were actually getting rader services? (I ask because I suck at radio comm).

The flight you did with family is what I dream of doing one day :D

Oh, and one day when you're not broke, get a gopro camera (or somethin' like it) - you'll love the videos taken with it.

P.S. are you gonna update your checklist to add "Da Duck" on it;)?

Last edited:
I love in-flight videos - cool stuff! And the place and landmarks you fly over are unique.

Is it all right if I ask you some questions related to the flight?

I'm don't know the SF area so i looked it up on a TAC and saw that the area around Golden Gate Bridge would not be in SF's Bravo as long as one stays below 3000 MSL- is that right? (I noticed you were around 2000 feet indicated).

But the GG bridge is still within the 30nm C-veil, so is that why you had a transponder code other than 1200? So does that mean you were actually getting rader services? (I ask because I suck at radio comm).

The flight you did with family is what I dream of doing one day :D

Oh, and one day when you're not broke, get a gopro camera (or somethin' like it) - you'll love the videos taken with it.

P.S. are you gonna update your checklist to add "Da Duck" on it;)?

All your questions are answered in my "1" and "2" items in a post I placed towards the beginning of this thread, see above.

See post number three.

I love how you tube randomly chose a thumbnail for me.

Duckie Does San Francisco.

Super awesome.

Amen! Great video (right up until the last three seconds with the view up your cousin's nose... :rofl: :rofl:).

Looks like a perfect morning to fly... and to share it with your Dad... coooool.

Cool video! I also got to take my dad flying for the first time recently, when I took the trip to the midwest a couple weeks ago. I wasn't sure he'd go, as he had only been in a small plane once in his life, and doesn't like flying on an airliner. But he really enjoyed it, so that was nice. Of course, our view of cornfields wasn't nearly as dramatic as what's outside your windows...:)

Kimberley,
Nice video. I wish there were more of Alcatraz. And I'm disappointed. I thought you were setting up for a trip UNDER the golden gate.

Kimberley,
Nice video. I wish there were more of Alcatraz. And I'm disappointed. I thought you were setting up for a trip UNDER the golden gate.

If any one of us Bay Arianders had ever done that, we damn sure wouldn't post pictures or videos of it.

Just sayin.....

If any one of us Bay Arianders had ever done that, we damn sure wouldn't post pictures or videos of it.

Just sayin.....

Unless you're flying a helicopter, in which case it can and presumably has been done legally. One Youtube example:

Amen! Great video (right up until the last three seconds with the view up your cousin's nose... :rofl: :rofl:).

Looks like a perfect morning to fly... and to share it with your Dad... coooool.

Actually, as mentioned, it was sunset.... then we went to dinner after.

Just sayin.....

Yes. And they would probably catch us. On and around the Golden Gate Bridge, including in the water, there are a ton of government boats / cars / etc. Maybe even a helicopter or plane. Not the place to do something illegal.

Back