Video Link House To Avionics Lab

weirdjim

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
weirdjim
With the Olympics on and all, I'm resurrecting a plan to stream HDMI video from the house out to the lab so I'm not having to run every whipstitch to see Phelps get another gold medal.

I've seen some pretty pricey stuff but I'm thinking that there has to be a better and less expensive way to do it. I could care less about HD; all I want to do is shoot the video/audio out of the satellite receiver box out 100' or so to the lab.

Any suggestions?

Jim

This doesn't address streaming the video from your house, but... do you have a device that'll run the NBC Olympics app? It's sounds like they're streaming everything, so maybe you don't *need* to connect to the house signal?

Yep, if you have an account on a Cable/Satellite provider that gets NBC (like all of them), you can stream NBC olympic coverage direct from their site to a variety of devices inlcuding regular computers, Amazon FireTV sticks, etc...

I perhaps used a wrong example. I'd also like to watch the Padre game tonight, How The Stomach Churns soap opera, Oprah herself, the Playbody channel, and everything else the satellite (DirecTV) picks up. I know I'm going to have to change channels in the house, but once I get a ball game streaming, I can watch it for hours.

Jim

Coax cable and another box?

I have a couple of HDMI extenders that work pretty well. The ones I have maybe above the budget but there are cheaper ones.

If you cable box/satellite receiver has an SD coax output, that's a great way to do it.

Coax cable and another box?

Well ... the location of the current receiver is on the second floor, so I'd have to bore a hole in the floor to get the coax outside, then under the deck, then trench 150' through two chain link fences, under two driveways, and up into the second story of the garage/engineering lab. That doesn't sound like much fun at all.

Jim

Sounds like a weekend project to me ;)

Genie mini's use you wifi to connect to the genie... No wires needed

I have no idea what you are saying. Again, please?

Jim

You said you have DirecTV. Their modern equipment (receiver) is called a Genie. It has 7 tuners built in along with a DVR. Instead of running connections from the dish to every TV in your house, you just run one to the Genie. Then all the other rooms get a "Genie Mini" that are wireless. The Genie mini's stream the content from the Genie. So it acts like a client/server environment. I switched my stuff over about a year ago... Call 'em up and they'll send someone out and replace it all for free. If they try to charge you anything, just kindly remind them how long you've been a loyal customer and what the latest local cable provider is pushing as a promotion. I've never had them charge me for anything.

http://www.directv.com/technology/genie?ACM=false&lpos=Header:3

"Very good range, mostly line of sight..." ;(

NOW we are talking. Seventy bucks is in my ballpark. I don't mind using analog audio and video; all I want to do is watch the news and a few sports games. I'll come inside to the HD setup if I need more.

Thanks,

Jim

Well, the slingbox website is all frosting, no cake. Simple questions like how much bandwidth does it consume per unit time, is it always in transmit mode, and why does it require that IT be the interface between your wifi setup and your wireless devices? Simple questions, no answers (and I took nearly an hour to prowl around the site).

Well, the slingbox website is all frosting, no cake. Simple questions like how much bandwidth does it consume per unit time, is it always in transmit mode, and why does it require that IT be the interface between your wifi setup and your wireless devices? Simple questions, no answers (and I took nearly an hour to prowl around the site).
Sling box requires that it go through their server, IIRC.

well shoot :(

Yeah, I know. It is linked to the Slingbox server 100% of the time, streaming everything I am watching whether or not I want to access it. The problem is that I'm paying for bandwidth through my ISP for the internet connection by the byte.

Jim

Back