Video documentary of Susan Oliver

Jim Logajan

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Star Trek fans may be interested to know that a documentary is being made of Susan Oliver, who played Vina in the original series pilot. She also appeared in a huge number of TV shows and a fair number of movies.

Since she also became a pilot - and later wrote a nice account of her aviation experiences in her autobiography - there should be some interesting aviation material in the documentary.

However, the documentary is not quite done. The last bits of work are being financed through crowd-sourcing. This provides a way for interested readers to secure a future copy of the documentary and also help it get completed:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-green-girl-a-documentary-about-the-enigmatic-susan-oliver

The official movie site:
http://thegreengirlmovie.com/

I have no connection with the movie, but when I first learned about the movie a year ago I did connect one of Oliver's CFIG's with the movie producer, who interviewed the instructor (who is now a doctor.) The CFIG was kind enough to send me a copy of the 1973 episode of American Sportsman that documented Oliver's training for a glider rating. I thought it well done, and it is evident from both it and her autobiography that most pilots will relate to her experiences and feelings about flying.

I was snookered...I was expecting to find the PILOT Suzanne Oliver (aka Pepsi Skyrwriter).

That's interesting. And once I saw her picture I knew immediately who she was. She was a cutie, that's for sure. Seems like a person who would be fun to have known in real life.

There's a funny story that goers with this.

Being the pilot of the first science fiction TV series from Desilu, the processing lab didn't know what was going on when the film started to arrive. One tech looked at the film and thought "My God! This girl came out GREEN!" -- so he reprocessed the film, correcting for more accurate skin tones.

When Norway Productions got the rushes back, there was Susan Oliver, with natural skin color. THEY panicked, and had a darker green shade put on her, reshot, and . . .the same thing happened!

After at least three tries, someone called the lab to ask if there was something wrong with the film or the chemicals, and:

"No, it seems all okay, why?"

"Well, we've got this actress in green skin paint that doesn't come through in the rushes."

[long silence]

"She's SUPPOSED to be green???"

Back