Video: Crosswing Takeoffs and Landigns in Spain

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Challenging for the pilots, sure. But the passenger experience in the back must've been something worth blogging about!

That first take off must have really soiled some shorts.

Last edited:
Wonder where they were? And what the winds were.

I was doing some touch and goes at DTO 2 weeks ago with winds at 6 knots at 270 (runway 18) per Metar. The first 2 were shakey. As I was taking off on my 3rd, I asked the tower what the winds were.

She said the wind was gusting to 29 knots at 270.

The next landing was a full stop.

I felt pretty good about my crosswind landings.

I wish she would have advised me when I said 'taxi with the numbers'.

Nice job holding it together in conditions like that.

The wings seem to be rocking more rapidly than I've seen larger aircraft do, and I don't have experience with them to know. Is it legit film? If so, way to go!

I was doing some touch and goes at DTO 2 weeks ago with winds at 6 knots at 270 (runway 18) per Metar. The first 2 were shakey. As I was taking off on my 3rd, I asked the tower what the winds were.

Dude, whenever you're landing: Windsock!

Do they have ATIS, AWOS, etc?

Or just hold enough aileron to stop drift and enough rudder to keep it straight. 6 knots, should have been obvious where the wind was from after the first one. ;)

Dude, whenever you're landing: Windsock!

Do they have ATIS, AWOS, etc?

ASOS.

On ASOS, winds were 6 at 270 on ASOS, I did not look at the windsocks after I taxied.

I specifically went out fo a stay in the pattern flight to work on crosswind because at 6 knots, it was a good practice for crosswinds.

I felt it a change, so I asked for an update from the tower.

I got down when I found out the winds were gusting that high.

Video also appears sped up.

The wings seem to be rocking more rapidly than I've seen larger aircraft do, and I don't have experience with them to know. Is it legit film? If so, way to go!
Yea its legit. Speed up a bit, but there are alot of videos from that area.

The towers I remember always include the wind information as part of the landing or takeoff clearance.

If you said 'taxi with the numbers' instead of "taxi with information KILO" then there may have been updated field condition info that was not disseminated because it was assumed that you had the current information.

Back