Victor 5 odd MEA southwest of Cincy

Morne

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Morne
Looking over the low enroute chart I see that Victor 5 goes from a 2700' MEA at NERVE to 10,000' going southwest! Why do you suppose?

The GPS MEA is still 2700' and of airway the min is 3700'. Where did that 10K come from?

There are a couple other oddities in that area - V512 east of Louisville and V51 north of Louisville.

Maybe something to do with the Louisville VOR?

There's one like that close to home for me. The first time I noticed V98 south of PIONS I thought it was very strange to have a MEA of 10000 in northern OH. It's because you are 98 nm north of DQN at PIONS. I still think it's a little odd to have not only a MRA but also a MCA at WOCKY. But that's probably because I swallowed the King course kool-aid that the "x" symbol for a MCA is supposed to be a danger sign. Or maybe somebody decided to build a 7000 foot windmill out there? :dunno:

Actually, at second glance even the MRA looks odd. I was taught that MRAs are for reception of crossing radials, and it looks like WOCKY is not quite on V96 and therefore a waypoint on V98 rather than an intersection. Or maybe that's a slight misprint on the chart?

There's one like that close to home for me. The first time I noticed V98 south of PIONS I thought it was very strange to have a MEA of 10000 in northern OH. It's because you are 98 nm north of DQN at PIONS. I still think it's a little odd to have not only a MRA but also a MCA at WOCKY. But that's probably because I swallowed the King course kool-aid that the "x" symbol for a MCA is supposed to be a danger sign. Or maybe somebody decided to build a 7000 foot windmill out there? :dunno:

Actually, at second glance even the MRA looks odd. I was taught that MRAs are for reception of crossing radials, and it looks like WOCKY is not quite on V96 and therefore a waypoint on V98 rather than an intersection. Or maybe that's a slight misprint on the chart?

There's a misprint on the chart but that's not it. The radial forming the intersection at WOCKY is the VWV R248, not the FWA R071. So says Order JO 7350.8V Location Identifiers:

WOCKY OH VWV*D*248.ØØ/4Ø.57 DQN*D*358.77/69.43 41-1Ø-24.23ØØN
Ø84-27-23.61ØØW

An MRA the same as the lowest MEA still makes no sense, however.

As VORs get older some of them are losing performance at lower altitudes. Increasing the MEAs is the easy way out for the FAA. They spend more money where their first-priority customers are concerned (the airlines).

Back