Vicodin

U

Unregistered

I am having trouble determining what I am required to report for a Vicodin prescription I received and filled, but never used. From reading someone else's thread, taking or not taking medication doesn't matter, it's what you were prescribed and had filled.

I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid that was causing me a lot of discomfort and preventing me from sleeping. When I went to see my doctor, in addition to other advice about hemorrhoids, he prescribed me 5 of Vicodin to help me get to sleep. I filled the prescription, but that evening, the thrombosed hemorrhoid resolved itself and the discomfort and difficulty sleeping immediately went away, so there was no need for the Vicodin.

When I go for my next FAA medical exam, I will obviously list the doctor visit for the hemorrhoid problem. However, the medication question only asks what medications I am currently taking, so I am not going to list the Vicodin. Is there somewhere else this should be listed? Am I missing some other reporting requirement? I want to report everything I am required to report, but I don't want to unnecessarily create problems for myself.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I am a 34 year old male and this is for a 2nd class medical.

Not a doc, but I can't imagine it's anything more involved than self-ground until well after the drugs have worn off.

In section 19 (doctors visits) list the visit to the doctor Reason: Hemorrhoid-resolved. (The end) If you are not using the narcotics that should be the end of the story

For the belt and suspenders approach, hand your AME the unused Vicodin and tell him to note on his files that you didn't take any.

But really this shouldn't be necessary. I used Vicodin for pain relief after a tooth extraction. Reported same to the AME and noted airman self grounded for a week post vicodin during recovery.

The AME didn't blink.

-Skip

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back