Vhf Am Aircraft Radio Going Digital???

B

BNN123

Hi,

i hear that the aircraft band is going to digital voice, which means the current aircraft radios will be phased out by 2015. the NEXCOM proposal will start in the year 2008..

so, will aircraft owner's be able to buy from the small companies radio. or will it have to be purchased from the big avaition radio companies

this will also bring an end to listening to the live ATC feeds online as well

anyone with information regarding this change??

Digital transmission does not necessarily mean that each transmission will be uniquely encoded. In fact, I'd be surprised if ATC instructions were not still "open", except for things like clearances. There's a great deal of value in being able to hear the instructions being given to airplanes around you, not to mention the need for the ability to broadcast a "mayday" and have ALL receivers hear you.

NEXCOM has been rolled back more times than the Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade. If they even start doing it by 2015 I'll be stunned.

Ron Levy said:
NEXCOM has been rolled back more times than the Garmin 430/530 WAAS upgrade. If they even start doing it by 2015 I'll be stunned.

The whole project has been put on the FAA's back-burner like most upcoming projects. Even the NEXCOM/FAA website link doesn't work any more. I agree with Ron, you'll be lucky if they even start the project by 2015.

Don't hold your breath for this one....I'm not.

Jason

HPNPilot1200 said:
The whole project has been put on the FAA's back-burner like most upcoming projects. Even the NEXCOM/FAA website link doesn't work any more. I agree with Ron, you'll be lucky if they even start the project by 2015.

Don't hold your breath for this one....I'm not.

Jason

And in any case, Garmin will have an upgrade:D.

Back