VFR vs. IFR

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Rather than hijack the Gaston's web site thread, I'm gonna start a new one...

Spike, just curious why you wouldn't file for a flight like this. I pretty much always file, so I'm just trying to learn how/why others approach things differently.

Lance,

I'm not Spike but I do qualify as "others." ;) :yes:

If the weather is questionable at all, I file - And that means anything from 6-mile or less visibility en route all the way down to 200-1/2 at the destination.

However, most of the rest of the time I go VFR. That allows me to just have fun and take a detour to look at something without asking permission. Also, with Chicago so close by, any time I'm going east I prefer to depart VFR; if the destination or anything else east of Chicago is IFR I'll simply file from SBN or something else along the way but on the other side of Chicago. That way, rather than going waaaaaaay out and around, I can go directly to Waukegan and head down the lakeshore VFR, then climb out and pick up my clearance from South Bend Approach after I'm around the end of the lake.

There are other times I'll file (going over the lake in the short time each year where I'm comfortable with it, for example) but my default flight over hospitable and familiar terrain in good weather is going to be VFR. :yes:

So now, I'm curious as to your thought process: Why do you always file?

I very rarely file. I will however pick up following if I am close to "B" "C" airspace. After I am past it I will keep following if it is not too chattery, (It shuts out my music). Listening to "My sweet little Island girl" is a lot more entertaining than "With you".

Dan

I file most of the time I am flying XC > than 100Nm. The whole Chicago thing does not affect me that much heading east. I basically go around anyways. Going along the lake front only saves a few minutes. If I am IFR I tend to be up higher out of the way of the GA FLIBS avoiding the class bravo so I like the guarantee that I will get traffic advisories to avoid the heavy metal coming into ORD. But if the WX is really severe clear VFR is nice. I did the 6Y9 run last year VFR, it was a pleasant change of pace.

I prefer to file IFR if going on a trip of any length, particularly if in an unfamiliar area or in an area with a lot of SUA around. I just find IFR a more relaxing way to fly. I have been known to cancel if I get some ridiculous routing, however.

Wells

I file anytime I am going more than about 50NM from home or if I am going near bravo airspace.
I fly into MCI quite a bit and makes life just "easier" if I have already filed to get in.

Mark B

I Fly VFR all the time. well i guess that because i'm not a IR pilot yet.
someone had to say it . LOL
Dave G:blueplane:

I rarely file a VFR flight plan, but get FF and have not yet been denied that.

However for truly long XC's outside of the Georgia area I will file a flight plan.

I fly IFR only when I believe the weather might get below vfr or if I need to get over an overcast layer. Generally most of my wishing for imc has resulted in CAVU. Sometimes the METAR at home says overcast but turns out to be a large cloud that drifts away from the field before I'm up. Other times I hope for the rogue cloud on the ILS to make it count. And still other times I'm looking at the direct course I would have taken under VFR and make a decision.

I almost always file. I too find it a bit more relaxing, and it is also a way to keep up with procedures.

Use it or lose it mentality.

~ Christopher

I'm in the 'file always' camp, too.

I've got a few reasons for it:

- I live under a class B. It's less work to get our IFR than it is VFR - no charts to look at really, and no worrying about altitudes. If I go VFR, I get FF on the ground and then go VFR through the class B. That works, too, but as long as you're in the class B, there's really no difference to IFR.

- IFR phraseology is much more standardized than VFR phraseology. Both ATC and I know exactly what to expect, and there's never much confusion.

- Most of my flights are 300NM+, and they often terminate in busy areas (like LA), so being IFR usually makes the arrival easier, too. I was going to Ontario Int'l the other day and Socal set us up on a perfect downwind at 4000' and then asked us if we could make the runway. Other than that, I couldn't have asked for an easier arrival.

- I'm preparing for flying something faster and pressurized some day <-- not this year, not the next, but then...that 1992 TBM looks quite tempting :)

-Felix

In the jets, I always go IFR.

In my VFR-only Maule I go VFR (imagine that!:eek:)

A couple of thoughts, though...Unless you fly a lot (and there's too much individual variation to define "a lot"), you almost have to make a choice as to whether you're going to be proficient at VFR or IFR operations.

Most pilots who get their instrument rating have been told to always file so they get comfortable "in the system". Very few pilots are actually told that VFR skills need to be kept up as well. There is a difference, and a lack of VFR proficiency is fairly common among instrument-rated pilots. Some see it in themselves, some don't.

Fly safe!

David

Rather than hijack the Gaston's web site thread, I'm gonna start a new one...

Lance,

I'm not Spike but I do qualify as "others." ;) :yes:

If the weather is questionable at all, I file - And that means anything from 6-mile or less visibility en route all the way down to 200-1/2 at the destination.

However, most of the rest of the time I go VFR. That allows me to just have fun and take a detour to look at something without asking permission. Also, with Chicago so close by, any time I'm going east I prefer to depart VFR; if the destination or anything else east of Chicago is IFR I'll simply file from SBN or something else along the way but on the other side of Chicago. That way, rather than going waaaaaaay out and around, I can go directly to Waukegan and head down the lakeshore VFR, then climb out and pick up my clearance from South Bend Approach after I'm around the end of the lake.

There are other times I'll file (going over the lake in the short time each year where I'm comfortable with it, for example) but my default flight over hospitable and familiar terrain in good weather is going to be VFR. :yes:

So now, I'm curious as to your thought process: Why do you always file?

He will change his mind when fuel hits $8.00/gallon:vomit:.....

Filing is good if you want to keep current or the weather is bad.....otherwise I wont go 30 miles out of my way when I file if the wearher is vfr. :no: Screw that...!!

flight following is a must........I live by NYC

I almost always file. I too find it a bit more relaxing, and it is also a way to keep up with procedures.

~ Christopher

Ditto. For really short trips in decent weather I'll forgo the simplicity of IFR for the flexibility of VFR but on more than one occasion when I went VFR I ended up air filing anyway, especially at night. I do often file IFR, depart VFR, and pick up the IFR clearance after getting around/under/over an IFR "obstacle" like the MSP Class B as long as the weather is good VMC.

-lance

I agree with the comments about keeping VFR proficient.

I like to get up in a 140/150/whatever from time to time just to putter around the pattern.

I suppose I should edit my response to say: I almost always file for x-c.

~ Christopher

I only file if I think/know I can't keep VFR wx mins. If it's just layer I need to get above/under, I just get a pop-up.

Flying IFR always interrupted my MP3 player.

I filed VFR once. Once.

Long x-ctry's, I file. Diddy-bopping with in a 150 nm radius, I'm using my VFR skills. I like 'em both.

• On long VFR trips (more than a couple of hours) I frequently file.
  • Obviously when there are low ceilings or vis I always file.
  • Thunder storms with adequate ceilings I generally fly VFR below them so I can see what's around me.
  • Shorter trips with VFR weather I seldom file but always ask for flight following.
  • If the whole family is with me I always file regardless of the weather or trip length.

The last VFR flight plan I filed was when I was a student pilot, but I do let my wife know where I'm going and when I expect to be there and call her when I arrive.

I've been in Naples since Mid-Jan.

If I'm going sight-seeing on the lakeshore or down to Marathon for a Subway, I won't file, but I've taken a bunch of trips to Northern Florida and can't imagine not filing. So much traffic and so many MOA's. It's far more relaxing to file.

I file for about anything other than the short hop for cheaper gas or the $X00 hamburger. Reasons:
1. ATC saved my bacon once, and I'll never forget that calm voice helping me find a place to land.
2. Another eye out for traffic.
3. Clouds happen. If you're already in the system, no big deal.
4. It helps keep me alert listening for calls and anticipating what will come next.
5. By doing it on a regular basis (when VFR would work) I'm comfortable with IFR/ATC when it is needed.
6. Being professional on the radio is noticed. I was complimented on this after my first jet flight and maybe it helped me land this dream gig.
7. It's not hard (for me) to be a little sloppier VFR in things like holding altitude, headings and stuff.
8. I did LOTS of VFR flying gliders, so I'm not too worried about losing those skills.
9. Other stuff I can't think of at this moment,

Back