VFR through the ADIZ... xpost

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
eek.gif

Nevertheless, that's one of the possible routes for moi, should my lady's current mental confusion remain chronic and we fly to Maine from NC.

What's the scoop wit dat ADIZ thing? Any of y'all fly through that VFR? Any suggestions? What is it I'm supposed to do so as to not get some testosterone-laden fighter pilot boy off of my wing, looking cranky??

Yeah, I've got some research to do... but I'm starting right HERE on the boards!
smile.gif
I'm thinking that if I've got a flight plan and squawk in place, I'm good to go, but ...
confused.gif

Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Yessir, just y'all nevermind! I read all that mess and heck, what's an extra twenty or thirty minutes, really? :eek:

Feel sorry for all y'all that HAVE to deal with it! :rolleyes:

Feel sorry for all y'all that HAVE to deal with it! :rolleyes:
The hard part is just learning how it works. Once you've done that, the administrative hassle factor is comparable to that involved in flying IFR, i.e. flight plan, squawk, and talk.
-harry

First, and most important, the ADIZ extends beyond the B-space in several areas. Do not for a second think that staying out of the B-space keeps you out of the ADIZ.

Second, it's not hard at all to go through the ADIZ under VFR, but it is very hard to be permitted VFR through the B-space from one side to the other. Potomac is very good about letting you enter the B-space to land at an airport inside the B-space, but that's about it. If you want to transit the B-space from one side to the other, it's you really need to be operating under IFR. Otherwise, they'll give you your ADIZ squawk, and tell you "transponder observed, remain clear of the Clas Bravo airspace." That means going under it, or around it, and if you look at the chart, that means some needle-threading.

All in all, if you're heading for New England from the Carolinas, you're better off planning to go up the V1/16/93 routes east of the ADIZ/B-space complex, whether you're going IFR or VFR. Check the TEC routes in the Northeast A/FD for details.

I'm in agreement, Brook.

If we do fly, right now I'm actually looking more at heading straight up to above the adiz to HGR, making a right angle turn and going straight from there to RDG (Reading, PA) and then straight to Dutchess County and on to Biddeford. I would keep the legs short to around 2.5 hours. There's probably a more efficient, "pilot-y" way to go, but these avoids ADIZ, it avoids the NYC area, I don't fly over water... in other IOW, it's the kind of flying I'm used to, just more of it.
smile.gif

...If we do fly, right now I'm actually looking more at heading straight up to above the adiz to HGR...
Just be careful of P-40, in that area. When the Pres spends the weekend at Camp David, that P/R combo airspace "expands" via a much larger TFR.
-harry

First, and most important, the ADIZ extends beyond the B-space in several areas. Do not for a second think that staying out of the B-space keeps you out of the ADIZ.

Dang! - I goofed, and Ron is correct, the ADIZ does extend south of the Bravo.

Avoiding the whole mess is the best option, unless you are going to an airport inside the ADIZ. We all love flying, so here's an excuse to do an extra 10-20 minutes of it.

Back