VFR Sectional Fabric

J

jmartin55

My granny makes quilts and I was in ATL the other day and in the terminal there is a quilt with the Atlanta Terminal Area on the fabric. I would really love to get my hands on some fabric with sectionals or low enroutes. I can't find any online if anyone knows of any please let me know!

Hey Jim, Welcome to the board.

I've never seen such a quilt. What airport and FBO were you at?

I haven't seen anything like it but I wonder if it was done with those T-shirt transfer thingies. You could put them into an ink-jet printer and print digitized charts then iron them onto fabric pieces and sew them together. I'm not sure how popular a quilting bee would be at the hangar on weekends.

Joe

My granny makes quilts and I was in ATL the other day and in the terminal there is a quilt with the Atlanta Terminal Area on the fabric. I would really love to get my hands on some fabric with sectionals or low enroutes. I can't find any online if anyone knows of any please let me know!
I have seen the jackets. They are made of tyvek. I think there is a source making the tyvek sectionals for carriers that require stronger sectionals. I don't know where to find the material, but here is a website selling the jackets, shower curtains, and aprons. They may be able to point you toward the source.
http://www.wilemanaircraft.com/default.asp
wvfrjk.jpg

Last edited:
i've always wondered that too. I think i saw a tie one time w/ the NYC sectional area on it... I want a DFW one... But realistically, any sectional tie would do... no en route chart ties though... white doesnt sound appealing.

I haven't seen anything like it but I wonder if it was done with those T-shirt transfer thingies. You could put them into an ink-jet printer and print digitized charts then iron them onto fabric pieces and sew them together. I'm not sure how popular a quilting bee would be at the hangar on weekends.
Those T-shirt transfer thingies give mixed results. They have improved in the last couple of years, but you still get a fair amount of color fading with only a wash or two. Now, presumably you'd not be washing a quilt often, but I would suspect that if you spilled something on it there's a good chance you'd have a mess on your hands.

You can try these guys;
http://itrepro.com/color/capabilities/index.asp

They do large format scanning and can print on to lots of different materials.

Back