VFR Proficiency Flights

cocolos

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
cocolos
Just curious how often do you guys and gals do proficiency flights? and what do you do? stalls, steep turns, ...etc.?

Every so often, I think of skill that I haven't worked on recently and try to get up and practice that. Stalls is one example.

Soon, though, I want to get up and practice power off landings in the Skylane. Usually, I'm landing with a bit of power. But I want to learn how 55WB wants to flown to the runway should I lose the engine and I'm close to the runway.

And I ought to get some practice in the flows for the various emergencies.

Having just finished my IR, I'm finding just how rusty my VFR skills are. Pattern work and getting comfy with the ground are 2 major areas for me right now.

Our club does annual flight reviews...it's the Prior checkride stuff all over again. Yup I know the FAA only requires it every other year but our club does it every year. Lot of pilots only go flying occassionally and so it's a way to get them out to fly.

I used to practice that stuff almost every flight (only once or twice a month). I used to do a cross country at least once a month, and throw in some stuff on the way.

Schedule and money issues have gotten in the way, but I hope to get in the air again and get proficient again!

I was going to go with what Sac said, but do you have any particular specific things you'd call a "proficiency flight"?

I don't practice engine-outs necessarily every flight, for example, but I do at least one or two a year besides any CFIs beating on me. Pull the throttle and pick a spot out on the plains...

Same thing with steep turns, stalls, and other required items in the PTS. Not every flight, but certainly more often than the guys and gals who only bother with them during a BFR.

Any flight can have a challenge added. Leave the iPad on the floor and grab a chart and don't set the DG, for example. Or just keep a PTS book around and randomly stick a finger on a page and do that stuff that flight.

Or go see how soft or short you can make your landings today... Or find a dirt strip and play on the dirt...

"Anyone can make any flight into a refresher flight" -- is probably a slightly better way to think of it than Sac's statement, I guess. But he's also right.

I tend not to subject passengers who are non-pilots to maneuvers, unless they've specifically requested them, and their sick-sack is available. ;) I attempt to give them a good experience instead. But solo, I'll throw a steep turn or two in during cruise (after slowing up a bit perhaps, over something I want to look at) or pretend the Nav has failed just to see where dead reckoning takes me.

Or not. Sometimes I just want to enjoy the view.

I was only thinking yesterday of asking the question regarding frequency of practicing maneuvers.

I'm embarrassed to admit since passing my PP checkride last October I haven't practiced any ground reference maneuvers and been content in simply doing x/c trips to towered and non towered airports to hone my Nav skills and RT work.

Time to re-assess my flight priorities I think, and work in some practice maneuvers along the way...

I was only thinking yesterday of asking the question regarding frequency of practicing maneuvers.

I'm embarrassed to admit since passing my PP checkride last October I haven't practiced any ground reference maneuvers and been content in simply doing x/c trips to towered and non towered airports to hone my Nav skills and RT work.

Time to re-assess my flight priorities I think, and work in some practice maneuvers along the way...

If you do it right every base to final turn is a 1/4 turn around a point, base to final too

I planned to go up once a month and practice maneuvers. I find it pretty fun and it costs a lot less than going on a crosscountry. I think I'll follow AggieMike88's advice and just go up and do what I feel rusty on.

Just curious how often do you guys and gals do proficiency flights? and what do you do? stalls, steep turns, ...etc.?

I practice stalls every landing;)

I may do steep turns a couple of times a year. Am at 500 hours and they don't really change. Owning an AC, everything is consistent. I don't do stalls with PAX as I'm afraid of an inadvertent fully depressed rudder if they get nervous. I've done "S" turns across a road once in the past 2 years and only did it as winds were 30 knots and thought it'd be interesting.

I do practice more TNG's than probably any other pilot with 500 hours. Soft, short, and power off 180's ... mostly the power off ones, especially if it's windy.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, at least one takeoff and one landing is involved. What happens in between is highly variable.

Back