VFR Practice Approaches

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Is there a single place to go for information on the preferred method of contact to request a VFR practice approach at all FAA facilities? Not all FAA facilities handle the pilot request in the same manner. So rather than tieing up the freq or calling each facility on the land line (like I'm gonna' land to request a practice approach), what is the best way to procure this knowledge in advance?

Here's a scenario: I'm making a long x/c VFR flight. I desire to make practice approaches, including missed approach, at all fuel stop airports on my way. I want to ident a best way to get ATC to comply with my request. That means I should already be familiar with their preferred method.

Richard,

I'm not sure what you're concerned about, please expand on everyone has their own procedures.

It's true that IFR procedures vary somewhat, but I suggest
  • Be sure to check NOTAMs so you know if any approaches are not available.
  • Use flight following.
  • Use standard phraseology to request an approach: "Los Angeles Center, Bugsmasher 234 request". Bugsmasher 234 request a practice ILS 11 at San Luis in VFR conditions.
Yes practice approach and VFR conditions are redundant, but you have to be sure not to accept an IFR clearance. So look for words like "maintain VFR" or "separation services not provided".

Joe

Lets begin by defining the two types of practice approaches and VFR sequencing to the airport.
Practice Approaches
Practice Approach in VFR Conditions
Track Inbound via the Localizer or Final Approach CourseThe first scenario, a practice approach, obliges us to apply the same separation standards that we would use in any IFR situation. We have the option of using a number of rules to keep the aircraft a safe distance from one another. Some of our choices include;
3 Miles Laterally
1,000 Feet Vertically
Visual Separation
These rules are more stringent than we would afford a VFR aircraft which equates to a greater potential for delay, especially with an opposite direction request.
The second scenario, a VFR practice approach, necessitates that we apply the separation standards described above, with two exceptions.
  1. .The Vertical standard can be reduced by 500 feet. This does not provide the controller with much opportunity to "squeeze" an approach in the IFR sequence and if the request goes against the traffic flow, there also is the possibility you may receive some delay.
  2. A missed approach is not authorized unless specifically requested by the pilot and approved by the controller. If authorized, separation is provided throughout the missed approach

The above is from the Santa Barbara TRACON home page. To add "VFR" to your request is not redundant.

Also, I know some facilities expected the missed approach unless otherwise notified by the pilot, this is opposite to what is mentioned above. There are other differences in different facilities I've come across. Before the TRACON came up, it was just as likely I would be denied a practice approach or the request was granted but they would turn me off at the OM.

Stockton used to not take airborne requests, they would only take requests if arranged by land line prior to the flight. I imagine there are many differences where a simple request on freq will not be honored. Basically, I want to avoid something like PPR for a practice approach while transiting from one area to the next.

Thank you for the response, Joe.

Last edited:
Richard,

I understand now. I do not know of anyway to find this out in advance short of contacting approach control (or center) that controls the airports you're going to. I've always just asked and got what I wanted most of the time. Worst that happens is they say unable (and probably some adjectives after their ptt is release).

On another note, if you want to do some practice approaces down south, let me know when you're in the LA area.

Joe

I can't really speak except for areas I have been to for practice approaches.
Normally, just let them know what you want to do. MOST of the time they have wanted to know from me how the approach will terminate though. (full stop, going missed and doing xxx next).

Just my .02
Mark B

Why don't you just file and at the appropriate time, decline the visual and ask for an approach?

when I am VFR I just check in with a position report and the request "practice approaches" I am then asked what approaches, how they will terminate and told to remain VFR. If I file I state in the remarks section 'multiple approaches". This seems to work in the Chicago and Tampa area pretty good.

Back