VFR Over The Top

Not sure where the confusion exists with cancelling once "on top" but out in Cali it's a common thing to get VFR on top then cancel and go about doing VFR maneuvers.

5. While on the ground in Monterey, Calif., the fog arrives on little cat's feet, shutting off VFR operations. Coastal marine layers often have low tops, so you request a climb to VFR-on-Top. Towers says, "Cleared to the Salinas VOR, fly runway heading, climb to and report reaching VFR-on-Top." Other than the usual wind, altimeter, and "Cleared for take-off," what other information must ATC include?
a. Tops report
b. Tops report, but only if it's included in the METAR
c. Tops report, but if tops are unreported the controller can omit this entirely
d. Tops report, even if the tower controller has to estimate the tops

I'm strictly a VFR pilot. From time to time on 700 mile cross countries, I'll fly VFR over the top. It's some of the nicest flying around. With plenty of fuel onboard, and known good conditions ahead and behind, I am occasionally willing to take the risk.

I'd much rather be VFR over the top of a layer, on course, over friendly terrain, than, say, 200 miles offshore, by myself in a piston single. The risk is not the same.

Not sure where the confusion exists with cancelling once "on top" but out in Cali it's a common thing to get VFR on top then cancel and go about doing VFR maneuvers.

5. While on the ground in Monterey, Calif., the fog arrives on little cat's feet, shutting off VFR operations. Coastal marine layers often have low tops, so you request a climb to VFR-on-Top. Towers says, "Cleared to the Salinas VOR, fly runway heading, climb to and report reaching VFR-on-Top." Other than the usual wind, altimeter, and "Cleared for take-off," what other information must ATC include?
a. Tops report
b. Tops report, but only if it's included in the METAR
c. Tops report, but if tops are unreported the controller can omit this entirely
d. Tops report, even if the tower controller has to estimate the tops

I usually get "fly runway heading and climb to xxxx (or wherever heading and altitude) and report VFR. If not VFR by xxxx then advise. " I normally give a tops and bottoms report while at it.

Back