VFR knee board template-suggestions?

Badger

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Badger
I've been using a blank paper for my VFR flights. I find myself writing down essentially the same info. I thought that if I made a template, I could simplify and also make more consistent my written info.

Attached are first drafts of my project. Feel free to make suggestions.
When finished I'll post final draft for anyone interested in a copy.
Thanks
The first file is the 'blank' and the second file is similar to how it would be used in flight.

Attachments

• kneeboard-infoSAMPLE.jpg
    kneeboard-infoSAMPLE.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 380
  • kneeboard-info.jpg
    kneeboard-info.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Looks good...only challenge for me would be when I am in a situation at a busy airport of getting a lot of taxi/runway/FF/squawk/heading/Dep Freq instructions all at once then having a clean read back without jumping all around and missing something...but looks like you have a pretty good flow.

Thanks Shawn.
I think I need more space for notes. Open space.

I get clearance, then nothing til I contact ground for taxi. then nothing else til I contact tower.

Nice. Really nice.

I'd suggest adding ATIS/AWOS, CD and App/Dep frequencies for both airports, plus a doodle space for drawing runways if they are complex (take a peek at KOAK, for instance).

I find I always have to write down a set of frequencies, TPA and pattern directions, at least for the destination airport.

thanks MAKG. suggestions going into next draft

edit: updated draft is in post #1 attachment

Last edited:
The most important thing is how it works for you. So, print a few, go fly with them, and see what you think.

I do something similar. On mine I also have the frequencies for my current airport, and I have a little script for the different frequencies to get me from clearance all the way through departure. I like your format a lot.

Thanks radioguy01.

I've added frequency for current/departure airport. I'll update post #1 to be latest.

Right now it's a jpeg file. I made the template in Adobe Illustrator, what format should I post so others can download and easily tweak to their needs?

Thanks radioguy01.

I've added frequency for current/departure airport. I'll update post #1 to be latest.

Right now it's a jpeg file. I made the template in Adobe Illustrator, what format should I post so others can download and easily tweak to their needs?

You'd probably be fine just posting the .ai file, otherwise exporting to SVG would also be fine so one could edit it in InkScape or another suite of their choosing.

I still use an amended version of one I started with on every flight. Local flights get one that is pre-filled out with local aprt info.

Other items I put on mine...

FSS Freqs
Center Freqs
Emergency 121.5
Flight Watch 122.0
Military VHF 126.2
Air-Air 122.75 or 122.85

A Go/No-Go Checklist with the following: WX, DA, W&B, Turbulence, Performance, Notam's, TFR's, Winds/Temps, Fuel Qty/Test,Emerg Procedures, and last my personal minimums.

I print them on card stock(thick papyrus).

I like your setup Badger, makes a good VFR kneeboard. As I'm working on my IFR I setup mine for IFR ops but it works well enough for VFR, too. Take a look and see if there's anything you want to incorporate onto yours.

I've also attached the speed reference chart I made for a 172SP which I recently started using and the quick-reference airport information card I use.

I made these in excel and can forward them to anyone if they like. The "by the numbers" airspeed card actually includes equations in the excel file so you could modify it to another aircraft without much trouble.

Attachments

• DepatureClearance Card.pdf
    490.1 KB · Views: 233
  • N2459V-Fly by the numbers.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Maine Airport Information Card.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 107
Back