VFR flight plan for a local flight?

simtech

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Simtech
I rented the fbo plane for this evening, and since after hours I'm required to file a flight plan, even if I stay in the pattern. So how does one file a flight plan with no destination, just punching holes in the sky? I normally use fore flight for this but I always put in a destination. I figured I'll call and get a brief and tell them what I want to do and they might hook me up??

Put the airport where you're flying in both the departure and destination blocks of your flight plan. If you'll be leaving the pattern, put where you'll be going in the route of flight block. For example, if you'll be going in the practice area 15 miles north of the airport, put something in there showing where that is. So, if the ABC VOR is on the airport, put "ABC360015" in the route of flight. If "BUNGO" intersection is in the middle of that, put that in. Just do something so they know where to look if you don't close the plan.

Okay that make perfect sense. Thanks! I might be all over, not sure, taking a buddy up so will likely go sight seeing but I see now how to file it. Thanks again!

So the fbo requires a flight plan to be filed after hours, even if you just remain in the pattern. They said it is so they have a record of the flight. Well I opened and closed my VFR flight plan and it did not show on flightaware. I read the VFR flight plan is only used by the FSS for search and rescue and that flightaware will not show it. So....how did this create a record for the FBO?

I did have my best landing ever, I only assume its because I filed a flight plan:)!

So the fbo requires a flight plan to be filed after hours, even if you just remain in the pattern. They said it is so they have a record of the flight. Well I opened and closed my VFR flight plan and it did not show on flightaware. I read the VFR flight plan is only used by the FSS for search and rescue and that flightaware will not show it. So....how did this create a record for the FBO?

I did have my best landing ever, I only assume its because I filed a flight plan:)!

Flight Aware will not show a flight plan.... They will often show you if you used flight following and ATC gave you a transponder code in the 2000 range and up... The 1000 series of code numbers are local codes and won't show up on Flight Aware..:no:

Seems like an unusual request of the FBO. How would they know if you filed or opened a flight plan?

During normal business hours do you have to tell them where you're going?

Seems like an unusual request of the FBO. How would they know if you filed or opened a flight plan?

During normal business hours do you have to tell them where you're going?

Yes my thoughts as well. Not sure what it proved but at any rate I held my end of the bargain.

No they do not ask where I'm going during business hours. Ill ask them what was up just to know.

Last edited:
It's not a bad request a pain maybe but a good thing just in case something happens.

Well, they cannot count on having a record, but they should be able to count on getting search and rescue looking for you if you have an accident. The idea is sound, but possibly the reason is not.

Flight Aware will not show a flight plan.... They will often show you if you used flight following and ATC gave you a transponder code in the 2000 range and up... The 1000 series of code numbers are local codes and won't show up on Flight Aware..:no:

I believe "local codes" in my neck of the woods start with zero.

Well, they cannot count on having a record, but they should be able to count on getting search and rescue looking for you if you have an accident. The idea is sound, but possibly the reason is not.

Agreed!

Easy - open a flight plan that has the same departure and arrival airport. For the number to call, give them the chief CFI's number, but no details on where you're flying. Since this isn't a valid flight plan for any valid reason, FSS doesn't really need to know.

Then repeatedly forget to close the flight plan. Since you gave the chief CFI's number, make your flights happen at like 2am, and eventually, he'll drop the requirement.

Ok.....

Is SLC a center or a TRACON ?? :dunno: I contact them on 133.25

They are an ARTCC. Whenever a facility is a TRACON, you address them as approach/departure. TRACONS are typically associated with class B and C airports while centers control enroute traffic as well as provide app/dep services for airports not associated with a TRACON.

They are an ARTCC. Whenever a facility is a TRACON, you address them as approach/departure. TRACONS are typically associated with class B and C airports while centers control enroute traffic as well as provide app/dep services for airports not associated with a TRACON.

Hmmmm... SLC is a Class Bravo.... When I leave depart Jackson Hole I am informed by the tower to here to contact SLC as they are the defacto departure authority.....

Now what ???

Hmmmm... SLC is a Class Bravo.... When I leave depart Jackson Hole I am informed by the tower to here to contthroughoutLC as they are the defacto departure authority.....

Now what ???

But there are 2 separate facilities based there...TRACON controls the terminal area around SLC and center controls enroute traffic throughout the entire region (JAC being an example).

Hmmmm... SLC is a Class Bravo.... When I leave depart Jackson Hole I am informed b the tower to here to contact SLC as they are the defacto departure authority.....

Now what ???

I'm willing to bet you're not formally handed off when VFR, but rather told to contact them if you wish unless a prior arrangement for advisories was made on the ground.

Back