VFR Flight on FlightAware

sometimes it happens most of the time it doesnt. one of my students got flight following back from Omaha a month ago and it showed up. I took a couple IFR flights this morning and no radar track showed up at all. It seems that for some reason or another Des Moines radar is just a big hole on flight aware.

I was hoping it would pick up my flying in circles during traffic watch before the NASCAR race in Atlanta. It didn't.

So, this is a bit odd.

FlightAware has my VFR Flight. Neither MFD Approach nor CLE Approach could pick up my transponder beacon, but there's a track displayed on FlightAware.

72.5 nm straight line between the two airports, divided by a flight time of 32 minutes gives an average speed of 145knots. Not bad for a 172.

(Yeah, I know the FlightAware flight time is not accurate)

Last edited:
No clue how or why, but my VFR flight this afternoon to Flying W (N14) displayed most of the route on FlightAware. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N1323X/history/20080330/2104Z/KHPN/N14

Every controller or two asked for my destination again, so I doubt the flight plan made it to the ZNY host computer. Regardless, it still picked it up. Cool stuff. :)

It just means the FBI is watching you, Jason... keep an eye out for black helicopters, my friend. You're tagged in the ATC computer. :) Blue pill, or red pill?

Back