VFR cloud clearance requirements for rotary wing

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Are they different for the rotor heads?

Had a uncomfortable situation the other day making an IFR departure. I had just lifted off and tower informs me of a helo off to my left that has me in sight and will remain clear then hands me off to departure. So, I'm watching this helo come pretty darn close to me as I am climbing out and he is right at my altitude and pretty bloody close as I enter the overcast layer (about 1200 overcast). This is in class D, and his rotor is definitely scraping the blottoms of the clouds.

Are the cloud clearance requirements different for helos, or was this guy pushing the limits? I wouldn't have called this a near miss, but it was definitely close enough to make me uncomfortable trying to make a single pilot instrument departure.

The laws of physics do not apply to whirly-birds

Only in one very limited exception:
(b) Class G Airspace. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, the following operations may be conducted in Class G airspace below 1,200 feet above the surface:
(1) Helicopter. A helicopter may be operated clear of clouds if operated at a speed that allows the pilot adequate opportunity to see any air traffic or obstruction in time to avoid a collision.
(2) Airplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft.. If the visibility is less than 3 statute miles but not less than 1 statute mile during night hours and you are operating in an airport traffic pattern within one-half mile of the runway, you may operate an airplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft clear of clouds.

Are the cloud clearance requirements different for helos,
Not in D-space.

Only in one very limited exception:

(b) Class G Airspace. Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section, the following operations may be conducted in Class G airspace below 1,200 feet above the surface:
(1) Helicopter. A helicopter may be operated clear of clouds if operated at a speed that allows the pilot adequate opportunity to see any air traffic or obstruction in time to avoid a collision.
(2) Airplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft.. If the visibility is less than 3 statute miles but not less than 1 statute mile during night hours and you are operating in an airport traffic pattern within one-half mile of the runway, you may operate an airplane, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft clear of clouds.

Not in D-space.

While this isn't D-space, 91.157 provides exemptions for helicopters for some SVFR requirements:

FAR 91.157 said:
Special VFR weather minimums.

(a) Except as provided in appendix D, section 3, of this part, special VFR operations may be conducted under the weather minimums and requirements of this section, instead of those contained in Sec. 91.155, below 10,000 feet MSL within the airspace contained by the upward extension of the lateral boundaries of the controlled airspace designated to the surface for an
airport.
(b) Special VFR operations may only be conducted--
(1) With an ATC clearance;
(2) Clear of clouds;
(3) Except for helicopters, when flight visibility is at least 1 statute mile; and
(4) Except for helicopters, between sunrise and sunset (or in Alaska, when the sun is 6 degrees or more below the horizon) unless--

(i) The person being granted the ATC clearance meets the applicable requirements for instrument flight under part 61 of this chapter; and
(ii) The aircraft is equipped as required in Sec. 91.205(d).
(c) No person may take off or land an aircraft (other than a helicopter) under special VFR--
(1) Unless ground visibility is at least 1 statute mile; or
(2) If ground visibility is not reported, unless flight visibility is at least 1 statute mile.

While this isn't D-space, 91.157 provides exemptions for helicopters for some SVFR requirements:
While that's true, he asked about VFR, not SVFR. In any event, the cloud clearance requirements are the same for everyone under SVFR -- remain clear of them. It's only the visibility requirements which vary under SVFR.

Ron, correct, I was just addressing JeffDG's comment that perhaps the helicopter was operating SVFR while the OP was IFR.

Had a uncomfortable situation the other day making an IFR departure. I had just lifted off and tower informs me of a helo off to my left that has me in sight and will remain clear then hands me off to departure. So, I'm watching this helo come pretty darn close to me as I am climbing out and he is right at my altitude and pretty bloody close as I enter the overcast layer (about 1200 overcast). This is in class D, and his rotor is definitely scraping the blottoms of the clouds.

Are the cloud clearance requirements different for helos, or was this guy pushing the limits? I wouldn't have called this a near miss, but it was definitely close enough to make me uncomfortable trying to make a single pilot instrument departure.

Helicopters have the same VFR requirements as fixed wing aircraft in controlled airspace. Helicopters get a break in Class G airspace and under SVFR.

Last edited:
Back