Veterans need pilots!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Hi all,

Our veterans need us. Veterans Airlift Command is in need of volunteer pilots. It's a public benefit flying organization similar to Angel Flight, but they specialize in flying injured veterans to medical treatment, or bringing their families to visit them.

There's a specific need this Sunday the 19th and next Thursday the 23rd - Springfield, IL to Pittsburgh on the 19th and return on the 23rd, for a soldier who suffered a traumatic brain injury in Iraq. I'd love to do it, but my son is getting baptized on the 19th and I'm pretty sure if I skip that, *I'm* going to be the one with a traumatic brain injury! (I'm stuck in a conference for work on the 23rd too.)

If you're interested in either this mission or in getting involved in general, visit http://www.veteransairlift.org or contact mission coordinator Jenna Deibel at Jenna.Deibel@veteransairlift.org or 952-582-2911 x22.

Looks like a great organization. But it seems they want planes that are a little more highfalutin than my little Cardinal.

I'm just up the road from Springfield and would do this if I had a faster plane and I had their qualifications. I don't meet Angel Flight quals either. So far I only get to take dogs and cats around. :) I look forward to being able to do this after I get my instrument.

They make do with whatever aircraft is available. I've completed several flights for VAC. They do want current IFR capability.

One other thing. When I accept a flight I do tell them if a more capable aircraft becomes available then the flight goes to that plane.

They make do with whatever aircraft is available. I've completed several flights for VAC. They do want current IFR capability.
Ok. Good to know. I would think my wide swinging doors would be a tremendous plus for someone with some type of disability. For a relatively short flight and no more than two passengers, I believe it would be a pretty good option.

The pax have been mostly greatful for the transport and understanding about what it is. I've mostly played it by ear as to their comfort and accommodated as I felt necessary for their comfort with rest stops and weather.

Gusty winds, strong headwinds, and bumpy rides have been the worst so far. I've explained the situation and anything I'm doing to mitigate. It's lead to some interesting conversations. These are folks who've had a rough time so they aren't your average impatient, demanding person. At least so far that's the way it's gone.

I'm actually based out of Springfield. What's the requirements for pilots ?

I've passed along to our local pilots

Last edited:
From their website:

Aircraft Qualifications
VAC missions often exceed 250 miles, we look for multi-engine or high-performance single-engine aircraft with:
• Certification for instrument flight
• A standard U.S. airworthiness certificate
• Licensure in the normal or utility category
You are responsible for your aircraft's compliance at all times with applicable federal and state regulations regarding insurance, maintenance, operations and license.

Pilots-in-command
PICs typically supply their own aircraft.
Ready to volunteer? Fill out the Pilot Application form
We look forward to serving our veterans with you.

Pilot Qualifications
• A valid U.S. pilot's license
• Current medical
• An instrument rating as well as ratings appropriate to the aircraft you will be flying
• A clean flying record: your license must never have been suspended or revoked, and the FAA must never have taken enforcement actions against you

Real cool, thanks for the link. Can't support right now, but I'd love to in the future

Back