Very useful terminal weather page but confused

leptserkhan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
lesterkhan
There is a very useful terminal weather page for NYC airports at:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/zny/n90/

which shows the terminal weather for NYC airports in excruciating detail. They even have a color coded chart with predicted runway usage based on forecasts. My question is this:

On the chart, for example for La Guardia airport, we see that the winds for today at the 22 Zulu forecast are predicted to be 120 at 15 with gusts to 15.

If that is the case, why do they then show a tailwind component of 15 knots when departing runway 13? Wouldn't it be almost the exact opposite?

I'm looking at the chart, and trying to figure how you figure it's showing a tailwind. If it were a tailwind, it would be red, not green, in the Rwy-13/31 box for 22Z.

True, it is green but the numbers in that box:

R13-1-16

means a crosswind of 1 knot and a tailwind of 16.

If you look to the row directly above the R13-1-16 notation and go to the first column, you will see: R-X-T which I'm presuming means Runway - Crosswind - Tailwind.

See the image attached for what I mean. I have put in a big red arrow pointing to what I see at the logic behind my confusion (if that makes any sense).

For example, if you now look at the predicted runway for the column 0300 hrs. you will see a box with the following information in it:

R13-4-17

What do the digits to the right of R13 mean? I claim, based on the key provided, that they refer to Cross Wind - Tailwind.

So that would mean on Runway 13 at that time -- 03:00 -- the crosswind will be 4 and the tailwind 17. Not logical!

Attachments

• runway-info.png
    runway-info.png
    61.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
thank you! I thought it was just me. Yes, please do report back that would be most helpful.

thanks Scott. Since you know everything (well, almost) where is the best tutorial to find out how to use the Skew-T Log to determine convective activity and the chance of thunderstorms. Wouldn't it be great if we could get Skew T logs delivered to the cockpit?

Thanks Scott. I'll take a look at the workshop you offer. I see that your website is loaded with very useful information for today's pilot. Thanks for the site!

Back