Very cool freebie from AOPA

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Anybody seen this? I don't recall it being posted here, and a quick search didn't turn it up, so I apologize if it's been posted earlier.

AOPA has released a free Commander aircraft module for MS Flight Sim 2004 that mimics the Sweeps plane and includes a working Chelton EFIS!!

http://www.aopa.org/sweeps/fly/

AOPA members can now fly the 2005 AOPA Commander Countdown Sweepstakes airplane from the comfort of their home on a personal computer.

Unveiled at EAA Airventure Oshkosh 2005, the "virtual Commander" duplicates nearly every detail of the sweepstakes airplane, including the Chelton FlightLogic glass-panel display and autopilot; a custom paint job created by Scheme Designers; and a custom interior.

The program, developed by Flight1 Software in conjunction with AOPA, requires a personal computer running Windows XP and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (the "Century of Flight" edition). A control yoke or joystick also is needed to fly the Commander (rudder pedals are optional), and a high-speed Internet connection is strongly recommended to download the program because of its size (approximately 45 MB).

Early next year, one lucky pilot will win the sweepstakes grand prize — a state-of-the-art, glass-cockpit Commander 112A — but for now, all members can have a turn at the controls, thanks to a remarkable new add-on to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

"Every AOPA member dreams of winning the sweepstakes airplane," said AOPA President Phil Boyer. "The next best thing to owning it is flying it — and now, thanks to our partnering with Flight1 Software, all of our members will have that opportunity."

I've seen it (in AOPA e Pilot). Don't think it's been here. I downloaded it and flew it a couple times. I'll need to work a bit more with it when they tell me I've won the aiplane :D

It's pretty cool, and a very unique download for those of us who do flight sim.

Back