VERTICAL double vision

D

DoubleVision

I had the strangest thing happen last night, for the first time ever. I had VERTICAL double vision. When we think of double vision, we usually think "side by side". I was seeing a double image in the vertical plane... a second image about 0.5 x down from the original. Here's how I noticed it, and what's REALLY weird...

We were watching a movie, and I noticed that things on the screen started to seem "blurry", so I got off the chair and moved closer to the screen (layed on the ground), didn't help. Figured I was tired and should sleep, so I got up to take the dog outside to take care of her business before bed. I looked up into the clear sky and there was the Big Dipper... except that each star has TWO stars at their location, about 1/8" apart from the other. WTH?!

Now, the odd part: I can usually isolate which eye is being "blurry" by closing one eye, then the other, and see which one is tired. So I did that... but the "double image" persisted through monocular vision! I saw the same double image, with no shift, whether I looked through the left eye only, the right eye only, or both together.

I didn't realize it was a VERTICAL shift until I came into the kitchen and was looking at a school permission form stuck on the fridge... each line of black text had a second, gray line of the same text directly below the first line, not a full line lower, but "half-line-shift" down (text was overlapped).

I thought: "Damn, I'm going to get a killer migraine!" But, I didn't. I drank some water, took three Advil to head it off, took my BP (120/69) and went to bed. I don't have double vertical vision this morning.

???? I'll definitely tell my eye doctor about this. I did a little web research, saw something about "ocular migraines"? Apparently they don't have headache pain with them but can cause vertical double vision? I'm just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about with relation to my flying.

Background: I have normally good vision (20/20 or better for years). Two or three years ago started using reading glasses (prescription) to reduce eye strain when spending long hours on the computer (my job!), or if reading for extended periods. I can see just fine without the glasses, distant or close, but I can get a headache if I have to do computer/reading for hours without them... one of the "benefits" of approaching 40!

Double: I don't give medical advice on the boards, just certification advice. GO to an OPTHALMOLOGIST. This may be nothing, but if it's something you WANT to know about it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back