Vertex VXA-300 Pilot III

It's an excellent radio. But, if you don't specifically need a VOR receiver, save the money and go for a 200.

Also, cheapest source online is Skygeek.com.

Have one. Like it. Chose it for the NiMH.
But, would go with the VXA-220 if I had it to do over.

I don't use it often, so I tend to forget how to use it. (It's easy enough to punch in the freq; but, setting up dual-watch... that can be an exercise in recall and trial-and-error.)

I can't remember the model number offhand but I have one of the the non-VOR types and like it. Really the main thing I like is that it isn't a big heavy brick.

Also the rechargeable battery lasts a long time, lots of frequencies can be stored and labeled, good backlight, many features, pretty easy to use once you read the directions, etc. I have used it to pick up NOAA radio during severe storms & tornado warnings. Handy.

I can't remember the model number offhand but I have one of the the non-VOR types and like it. Really the main thing I like is that it isn't a big heavy brick.
That would likely be the VXA-150 or if bought this last year, the VXA-200.

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the VXA-300. In my searches, and from the responses, a number of people have suggested to save the money for the NAV feature, but I went ahead and got that too. It isn't that much, and what can it hurt? I won't put a lot of faith in it, until I have tested it thoroughly. I'm used to being lost anyway, so what the heck.

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the VXA-300. In my searches, and from the responses, a number of people have suggested to save the money for the NAV feature, but I went ahead and got that too. It isn't that much, and what can it hurt? I won't put a lot of faith in it, until I have tested it thoroughly. I'm used to being lost anyway, so what the heck.

I have two working handheld comm radios and both have VOR nav capabilities. The only practical use of that feature I ever employed was finding my way back to an airport in a car (pre GPS days). OTOH, with some handhelds purchasing the VOR nav function is the only way to enable receiving voice on the nav frequencies and that could be very valuable if the only ground station in range requires you to receive from a VOR, for AWOSs that transmit on a VOR frequency, and for picking up HiWas transmissions.

On a related note, one of my handhelds is also a Vertex (Yaesu) and it has trouble with nearby FM broadcast antennas if I connect it to an external antenna. For that reason, the next one I buy will likely be an ICom and definitely not a Vertex.

Last edited:
I am looking for a new rechargable battery for my Icom A-22. Any good suggestions?

Pete

Check with AESham.com they are in Milwaukee. Give them the part number they deal with lots of Icom product.
When I was selling aviation radios, I went into HRO in Atlanta for a 70cm antenna. They sell aviation radios but for dang near suggested retail. They were saying my selling prices were below their costs. That one sure confused me.

But, if I wanted to be able to sell ham equipment, I'd have to lay out at least an initial thirty grand to Icom for inventory.

Back