Vermont or Maine

Paul Allen

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
I'm trying to escape from the office for a few days and would like to go to either Vermont or Maine. We like the outdoors, hiking, sightseeing and fishing. Good seafood restaurants are a must. A decent airport were we can also get a rental car.

I'm looking for ideas. Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to escape from the office for a few days and would like to go to either Vermont or Maine. We like the outdoors, hiking, sightseeing and fishing. Good seafood restaurants are a must. A decent airport were we can also get a rental car.

Sounds like you're describing the coast of Maine.

Land at Bar Harbor, rent a car. It's as far downeast as you can go and easily get all the services. Eat at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound (3 miles away). Cross Trenton Bridge to Acadia. Drive down east to Campobello. See if you can get a "cabin" (3 bedroom unheated summer place in Northport, ME on Belfast bay (google it).

Aaahhhhh.....:)

How many in your party? I have room for guests. I'm in Georgetown(Google it), which is 10 min. from Reid State Park(on the ocean), 6sm from Five Islands, a fishing village which is part of Georgetown which is, also, an island;12.5sm from my hangar at Wiscasset Airport KIWI where Enterprise can deliver a car. I'm midcoast, 1/2 way between Rockland(Lobster Capitol of the World) and Portland. Other near airports at Rockland(KRKD), Portland(KPWM).

HR(on a hill and in the trees, hot tub at 100°)

Attachments

• GeorgetownA.jpg
    GeorgetownA.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 14
  • GeorgetownB.jpg
    GeorgetownB.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
How many in your party? I have room for guests. I'm in Georgetown(Google it), which is 10 min. from Reid State Park(on the ocean), 6sm from Five Islands, a fishing village which is part of Georgetown which is, also, and island;12.5sm from my hangar at Wiscasset Airport KIWI where Enterprise can deliver a car. I'm mid-coast, 1/2 way between Rockland(Lobster Capitol of the World) and Portland. Other near airports at Rockland(KRKD), Portland(KPWM).

HR(on a hill and in the trees, hot tub at 100°)

Nice place, Harley!!

Harley,
Thank you very much for the offer.

My wife had suggested Bar Harbor before I posted and it looks like that's where we'll go if I can escape for a few days. It looks like a little less than a four hour trip (CAK-BHB). Any suggestions on a halfway stop for my wife's bladder. I can't get her to entertain the idea of using one of those disposable pee bags. If she's sleeping I'll get a route change in the air and go direct!

Thanks again for the help.

I would like to make the suggestion of going to PWM (portland) if you can. The FBO at the airport will hook you up with a crew car, and it's quick drive to a nice little city that's on the waterfront. There are some good restaurants there. Last week I zipped up there and had dinner at a place called J's, which is right on the wharf. It's really good cheap food in a fairly divey bar, and they have outdoor seating.

If it's a four hour trip, can your lady make it to Portsmouth, NH for the necessary stop? That would get you over and out of Massachusetts, whose many MassPort-controlled airports require a prop lock when parked(and how many of us travel with or even own one?). Then, from Portsmouth(right on the New Hampster/Maine border to Bah Hahbah(which I knew Dr. Bruce would recommend). Enjoy!!

HR

I would like to make the suggestion of going to PWM (portland) if you can. The FBO at the airport will hook you up with a crew car, and it's quick drive to a nice little city that's on the waterfront. There are some good restaurants there. Last week I zipped up there and had dinner at a place called J's, which is right on the wharf. It's really good cheap food in a fairly divey bar, and they have outdoor seating.

Aha!! You've sampled the wares at J's Oyster Bar. I presume you also flew over Old Orchard Beach, and probably took a look at the Casco Bay Bridge.

Attachments

• Old Orchard Beach, Maine.jpg
    Old Orchard Beach, Maine.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Casco Bay Bridge2.jpg
    Casco Bay Bridge2.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 8
Nice place, Harley!!

I'll second that! Harley, your home and setting is beautiful. I'm afraid that if I stayed with you for a couple of days you would have to chase me away with a ball bat. You are a very generous person to offer up your home to strangers. Thanks again for the offer.

"home to strangers." Funny! Numerous of my acquaintances have commented, "You really let people you've never met stay at your house?"

When I explain that pilots are the nicest people, and that all guests had been known via cyber-contact, I still get the rolled-eyes look. Numerous members of this forum(and others) have stayed here -- well, not here, but at my Topsham house(soon for sale) and have received the standard "tour."
Who'll be the first to come to Georgetown where I've only been since June 07 of this year? Every day is a new experience; such as getting used to HughesNet(no cable down heah) and two long conversations with the fine folks at Microsoft[Outlook Express] to hammer out configuration problems.
Thank you, Yamesh Yoshi, from somewhere "in the Southern part of India."

All I request is a 24 hour notice.

HR

Paul,if you are in maine the weekend of august 11th,we are having a flyin.Harley you are invited as well.We have several people helping and committed to come.My co sponsor is dan from nezinscot river seaplanes.There will be floatplanes on the river as well as landplanes on the field.We have a band playing around 3 sat afternoon,refreshments,steak and lobster.Adult beverages for those not flying for 8 hours and a bonfire for the tenters.Harley you have been here some years ago(to bid on a 172).The strip is fairly short and in a valley so if anyone wanted to be picked up at bethel,we would come get ya,or welcome to drive.Harley the strip has been greatly improved with more seaplane access and a 60 by 80 hangar.If you can get there,you are more than welcome.

Back