Vegas Helicopter Operators

jwriteclub

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
WhIteSidE
We're in Vegas for CES and we were thinking of taking our sales people on a helicopter tour. I've heard some disturbing things about maintenance and general safety policy of some of the operators in the past. Can anyone recommend someone trustworthy.

On another note, if anyone else is in town, want to grab a drink?

I did a helicopter tour there about 12 years ago. Seemed safe enough but I wasn't into aviation at the time so I just thought it was cool. You may want to see if you can get a local CFI take you up in a plane - it'd probably be cheaper. Helicopters are LOUD!!

If you're willing to make a day of it, Scenic Airlines runs a flight to the Grand Canyon where you land and go on a bus tour of a few spots and then they fly you back. They use Twin Otters or some similar type with nice big windows and flying low. It was actually less expensive than the helicopter tours that take you out to "Grand Canyon West" which isn't actually in the Grand Canyon Park.

If you're willing to make a day of it, Scenic Airlines runs a flight to the Grand Canyon where you land and go on a bus tour of a few spots and then they fly you back. They use Twin Otters or some similar type with nice big windows and flying low. It was actually less expensive than the helicopter tours that take you out to "Grand Canyon West" which isn't actually in the Grand Canyon Park.

Just make sure you have a strong stomach if you're going to do that. I've talked to several former pilots there who say they go through record numbers of Sick-Sacs on the average flight.

I've never ridden with these guys, but I've talked to a bunch of their pilots at VGT and Henderson; they all seem pretty conscientious, and sound like they like the organization:

http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/

I've chartered from Maverick before for photo jobs near Vegas, as well as gone on a Canyon tour, and was satisfied with their operation. I believe they're the single biggest operator of EC130 helicopters in the U.S., as well. The accident record in general is pretty good for the tour operators, though there are anomalies like Sundance Helicopter's crash last month. Accidents happen in any industry, but when you consider the number of passengers carried annually, the rate is very low.

Just make sure you have a strong stomach if you're going to do that. I've talked to several former pilots there who say they go through record numbers of Sick-Sacs on the average flight.

I've never ridden with these guys, but I've talked to a bunch of their pilots at VGT and Henderson; they all seem pretty conscientious, and sound like they like the organization:

http://www.maverickhelicopter.com/

Summer thermal turbulence, spring winds, and low altitude for sight seeing are not good combinations for smooth flights.

Maverick is good, Sundance also, but find out how far into the canyon they go before you buy.

Back