Vectors to ->

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Is it legal to ask ATC for vectors to an unfamiliar airport.?

Such as :

I'm off BVS and have flight following from Whidbey approach, and they facilitate a hand off to SEA center, I squawk the SEA assigned transponder code and contact SEA approach like always, and I'm going to KPLU, which is on the south side of the SEA class "B".

Can I ask for vectors direct KPLU ?

Will that save me from the restrictions around SEATAC?

OBTW I'm VFR rules no IFR flight plan.

Wouldn't they hand you to SEA Approach that close in?

You can ask.

They will either say, "Maintain VFR, remain clear of the Class Bravo" or they'll give the magic world's, "Cleared to enter the Class Bravo, turn X heading Y."

Have to be prepared to navigate your own way there if they're not cooperative due to traffic load.

Most controllers are sympathetic to a "I'm unfamiliar with the area and could use a vector" type of request.

It is legal to ask, but as stated above, the regulations require that you be able to safely handle a denial of your request without getting lost or busting airspace.

Even if you get cleared in to the class B you may not get vectors. You often will be told to just go where you asked to go (after being cleared in). Be sure to ask for what you want. If you want to get cleared through the class B as for that. If you want vectors because you aren't sure where you're are going, ask for that.

If you want vectors because you aren't sure where you're are going, ask for that.
Vectors as an aid are fine, but if you know ahead of time that you'll need vectors to find your destination, you need to do more navigational planning before you launch.

And just to dot the i - it is LEGAL to ask ATC for anything - shucks, you can ask for a low pass over P51 for photos...

Your transcript might even get posted on their bulletin board :)

You can always ask for vectors when unfamiliar, I do it all the time and don't get violated so I can't imagine it as illegal. You do have to be prepared for a denial though, typically I'll pull out the approach plate and use it for guidance if the vis is marginal.

Such as :

I'm off BVS and have flight following from Whidbey approach, and they facilitate a hand off to SEA center, I squawk the SEA assigned transponder code and contact SEA approach like always, and I'm going to KPLU, which is on the south side of the SEA class "B".

Are you talking about asking for vectors from Whidbey or SEA? Whidbey probably won't give you a vector because your destination isn't going to be on their maps. Some approach facs have a computer than can calculate your heading based on the airport in their airspace or they simply can eyeball it. Centers can do it anywhere. SEA could easily give you a vector direct. Nothing illegal about it, even if it takes you through special use airspace. If they do and your VFR they'll suggest a heading after you request it. If there's any airspace in the way they'll get approval. Only thing you need to worry about is that heading taking you into IMC or obstructions/terrain. If it does then you need to speak up. Really, when it comes down to it VFR services are about workload permitting. If they don't have time then "remian clear of the Seattle class B airspace."

You can ask, and Seattle Approach will usually assist you. They are much more accommodating than some.

But there are times of the day when they will just say, "Aircraft calling Seattle Approach, unable VFR flight following."

And just to dot the i - it is LEGAL to ask ATC for anything - shucks, you can ask for a low pass over P51 for photos...

Your transcript might even get posted on their bulletin board :)

And crossing the T, baring an emergency ATC does not generally have the authority to wave the FARs. IOW, just because the tower says it's OK with them if you fly a 300 Kt pass @ 15 AGL and a tight circle around the tower in a 75 deg. bank close enough that they can read your ASI without binoc's, you won't get a free pass from the FAA inspector who happens to be watching.

And crossing the T, baring an emergency ATC does not generally have the authority to wave the FARs. IOW, just because the tower says it's OK with them if you fly a 300 Kt pass @ 15 AGL and a tight circle around the tower in a 75 deg. bank close enough that they can read your ASI without binoc's, you won't get a free pass from the FAA inspector who happens to be watching.
:popcorn:

Sort of like this?

I imagine he got a free pass though as he was likely there for an organized event.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 5.42.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-09 at 5.42.12 PM.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 6

Such as :

The VFR flyways that came along with the Class B reconfiguration won't work for you? Or do you come down east of the big water?

Bob Gardner

The VFR flyways that came along with the Class B reconfiguration won't work for you? Or do you come down east of the big water?

Bob Gardner
I normally come down the west side under the "B" and turn ESE over Tacoma, but though I would re-think that and do the east side. now that the "B" has narrowed up.

Simply thought flight following with vectors would make it easier.

Center has in the past, been a big help.

Tom,

It's perfectly legal to make the request and to follow the vectors, but keep in mind that they're workload-permitting, and navigation is still always on you.

ATC can always refuse, or simply clear you direct; in such a case, it's up to you to get there.

These days, it's quite convenient to just request permission, and follow an inexpensive GPS to get where you want to be...or use pilotage for VFR...works just as well.

Tom,

It's perfectly legal to make the request and to follow the vectors, but keep in mind that they're workload-permitting, and navigation is still always on you.

ATC can always refuse, or simply clear you direct; in such a case, it's up to you to get there.

These days, it's quite convenient to just request permission, and follow an inexpensive GPS to get where you want to be...or use pilotage for VFR...works just as well.

Are you familiar with the Seattle class "B" changes?

we all had a favorite way to pass the city going north or south when the old class B was in effect, now we have a lot more options and are not crowded against the tall rocks as we go by the city.

which means we can note new landmarks / routes.

If I get passed off from Whidbey approach to sea center and they give me vectors to Puyallup I can simply note the route.

Are you familiar with the Seattle class "B" changes?

Nope.

I understand what you're saying, but isn't that what a Class B chart is for?

If you're wanting to get vectors so you can recognize the VFR corridors or routing, bear in mind that there's no guarantee that you're going to get vectored along that routing, which means that what you see while being vectored may be quite different than what you need to fly if you're doing a VFR transition on your own.

You need to know where you are. It's not uncommon to be given vectors all way off course and then told to resume your own navigation. Not a big thing when you're heading for the primary airport (hell, I can see IAD from before I enter the class B), but heading to smaller fields...

Back