VDP and going missed before MAP on Non precision approach.

Yea I try not to drive and dive as much a possible. Shot a LOC last week into RDU but it was VMC.

Dive and drive works if you have a tailwind though. Gets you down before you overun the airport.

Same at every 121 & 135 job I've had. I just assumed that was best industry practice. I was questioning the validity of some posts in this thread. Trying to keep an open mind though.....
The AF was big on calculating your own VDP and briefing and using it on NP approaches. One think I would always try to impress upon my students was that one of the reasons why a VDP might not be published on an approach is because there is an obstacle out there that would preclude using a normal descent from the MDA at the VDP. So, just be careful rolling your own VDP, there might be something in the way of that "normal" descent to the runway.

The last question has a much more straightforward answer. Do not start the missed approach before the MAP. You'll turn earlier, and there may be terrain or obstructions. On some VOR approaches, you can tootle along at the MDA for miles.

This ^^^^^^^

BTW, the Part 121 rule, 121.651 has reaching the VDP as one of the alternative requirements for descent from the MDA, and even then, it's subject to "but"s and "if"s. So even in that very heavily regulated environment it's not a pure "must."

(c) If a pilot has begun the final approach segment of an instrument approach procedure in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section, and after that receives a later weather report indicating below-minimum conditions, the pilot may continue the approach to DA/DH or MDA. Upon reaching DA/DH or at MDA, and at any time before the missed approach point, the pilot may continue the approach below DA/DH or MDA if either the requirements of §91.175(l) of this chapter, or the following requirements are met:

(4) When the aircraft is on a straight-in nonprecision approach procedure which incorporates a visual descent point, the aircraft has reached the visual descent point, except where the aircraft is not equipped for or capable of establishing that point, or a descent to the runway cannot be made using normal procedures or rates of descent if descent is delayed until reaching that point.​
There was a time when the VDP was mandatory for Part 121.

Back