Vasovagal Syncope

A

ABC

Earlier today I went to CVS to gef a TDaP booster shot. Since I hate needles, I covered the top of my right deltoid with LMX-5, a topical lidocaine anesthetic. I had never used it before. I felt extreamly nervous walking into CVS, but with a 5 day old gash in my hand, I knew I needed one. The LMX worked; I never felt the needle itself. Fast foward 10 minutes and I'm getting a haircut at the local barber shop. About mid way through my haircut, I started to feel nausous and light headed. I was sweeting buckets; it felt like it was 120 degrees in there. I took my pulse and everything was normal. I laid down on the floor for about five minutes before getting up to finish my haircut (I never lost consciousness.) Since then, I've felt fine.

I've heard of vasovagal syncope before, just never experienced it.

My question is: Does vasovagal syncope following a needle procedure disqualify you for any FAA medical certificate (1st, 2nd, or 3rd?)

Why do you believe what you experienced was vasovagal syncope? There are other etiologies for your symptoms, not necessarily connected with your shot. These might include reactions to the LMX, the booster itself, a chemical at the barber's, their interactions, and/or an odd position of the head in the barber's chair. Or anxiety about the shot. I'd be interested to know more. Diaphoresis, nausea without emesis, lightheaded. No tachycardia. Hypotension? Dehydration? Any headache? Visual disturbances? Ringing in the ears? Whatever it was, I hope it gets sorted out quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back